auger question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutbetterthanyou, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to put up 850 feet of fence in a couple days. My fear is that my tractor (that has no down pressure on the three pt hitch) is not going to drill. The weather has made the ground very hard around here. The job is about 45 mins away so i don't want to trial and error it. If i rent a skid steer w/ auger, or a dingo do you think that the down pressure they have will be enough, or do they not always work ether?

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had the need for down pressure...most tractor do not have DP. on the 3 point hitch...Imo...you will be fine with just the auger...drill slow...thats the way i do it...pull up speed up to spin the spoil off.
    What size auger...6"??

3. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Probally 6 or 8 inch. The reason i am worred is last year my grandfather put up a fence and had to push the auger down with the backhoe and it wasn't as hard as it is now. Around here we have alot of clay.

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok maybe the whole set up was a bit lite. If you do use a skid steer...you will have the down pressure. Be careful If your pushing on a auger...stand clear of the auger...I knew of a guy...he was putting In fence posts ,like you are...and the same thing it would not drill in the ground...poor buger got out all by himself and was pushing on the gear box with the PTO running...the auger caught his jacket and killed him.
    Anyway...there Is a way to crowd a auger (put down pressure on It) But It requires 1 more cylinder...and it mounts on top of the auger arm.
    Best of Luck.