Auger Sizes for Planting / Hardscapes

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rawtoxic, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

I am planning to pickup an auger attachment for our DW SK650.

The plan is to use it to assist with planting projects, and the occasional fencing job we do. I am seeking some recommendations on what size augers to get? I think I'd only like to purchase two or maybe I can get by with one? I'm looking for advice.

Most our planting is containers #1, #5, #10 with occasional b&b plantings (maybe 50x a year)

Then a secondary questions is it practical to use the auger bit 3 times next to each other in a triangle pattern to create a bigger hole?

Is there any where else we may use the auger in landscape I'm not considering as part of auger size purchases? I might do a few deck footings from time to time but that's like a once a year job.

Thanks!

2. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

for plantings a 18-24" would be the most universally effective. For fencing a 9-12" is ideal

3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 10" 18" 24" 36"
    Use the 10" for posts. 18" for 3 gal shrubs. 24" for 5 to 15 gal shrubs 36" for small b&b and 45 gal or smaller trees. Backhoe for larger b&b trees

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Just make sure the plant is a lot smaller than the round hole. Plants don't like round holes over the long term. We almost always dig square or rectangular for trees though that's inefficient for smaller plants/shrubs and auger would be a major time saver. What I've found, though, is I better have a lot of work to justify the expense of multiple auger heads as they are expensive down here with rock teeth.

5. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

12" and 36" bits for my mt52 work best.

36" for tree holes/big shrubs/BB to get them started, but we always de-glaze the holes as the edges of the auger will harden the clay soil here into rock like material that tree roots can't penetrate.

I also like the 12" for post holes as it it large enough to get working room around the posts, and we can use it for plantings if we need to.

I am not a huge fan of using small auger 12" for planting holes though, seems like more work than a guy with a good spade and a lot less disturbance. Plus we usually amend the soil heavily/loosen soils before planting anyway. We have to be doing a ton of holes in un-ammended soils here where the soil is perfect for planting which rarely happens!

I rent anything else we might need.

-Chris

6. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally think the best way to dig a hole is by hand with a shovel. We use an auger on a skid steer every once in a while if we have lots of trees to plant, but otherwise I dig by hand.

7. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a 36" if it will spin in and a 9" for fencing. For smaller than 15 gallon size it is much quicker to dig with a shovel. Digging three holes in a triangle is better than nothing but ineffective if your making a habit out if it.
    Posted via Mobile Device