Auger Sizing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Yard Solutions, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Yard Solutions

Yard Solutions LawnSite Member

Any general guidance for what size auger to use for fences posts. For example, if I'm sinking 4" posts, what is an appropriate auger to rent? Looking for any "rules-of-thumb" so I'm not asking to rent every auger they have. Also, if I do purchase a power head, what recommendations for augers on hand (sizes) would you have? (keeping in mind I want to purchase 2-3, maybe). I imagine larger augers can make plantings alot easier too. Thanks in advance!

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If your good at laying out the distance that you need for fence poles then the closest bit you can get to the size post works best. The bigger the bit the more forgiving your measurements can be. If you have many to do rent a skid steer with a leveling bit on it and finish drilling fast. If only a few it does not matter the size but the bigger the power head the faster they drill usually

Mac

3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

For vinyl fence go bigger than the post so you can put concrete in the bottom, for wood go about the size of the post.

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Yard Solutions,

whats your email address? I have a trailer for sale but your PM isnt turned on yet.