Augers for Annuals.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SamIV, Jan 24, 2004.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Performed a search, and most said till the area before planting, and I agree, but I have accounts where this would not be feasible. Do most of you use the engine driven (Echo type) or battery operated drills.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I use a gas drill on every planting job I do. To prep an annual bed with one is fast and easy.

I use a Stihl but if I had to do it over, I'd look at Red Max.

Ed

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my drill, home depot had the auger bits for 14 dollars I put my drill up against a gas auger on a plugging job and was going a lot faster than the gas one

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use a gas drill if I had it available.

Don't use a cordless- augers are much harder on drills than normal use, especially if the ground is hard. I've burned up several drills using them for that purpose.

You will get more use out of the drill (and better performance from the flowers) if the ground is soft.

If you can, figure in the cost of a new drill in each job every year or two if you have a lot of flowers to plant.

Dan

5. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to go with the gas powered model. The soil we have here is mainly clay, not the sandy soil Promo Lawn Service has in Florida. I know beds should have better soil conditions than the lawn, but this is not always the case. We plant near 3000 annuals for my clients, mainly 4" but some six packs also, every six months. An auger has been long overdue.

I have an Echo dealer here and prices range between $400 - $500. What kind of money did you give for yours.

Thanks,
    Sam

6. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am also in the market for an engine drill. Would really like to hear comments on the Stihl, Echo, and Red Max. Any other brands too.

7. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Who's planting flowers in hard-pac clay anyway?

Here in upstate S.C. the clay get's so hard ya need a pick to dig a hole, but maybe for a tree or shrub. I don't know about you guy's, but i plant my flowers in FLOWER BEDS. Nice and soft from tilling, and amending.

I use a 18vol. Dewalt, and i've never had a problem.

I'm not trying to pizz anyone off, but come on. A gas powered drill to plant flowers?:confused:

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

used the Home Creapo drill augers allot last year...but the beds were not clay like you are describing...i tried 2 cordless drills, and even in relatively decent soil, they would bog down...so I got out the old big elec drill my dad gave me years ago. (we were lucky to have elec outlet close by)

regardless of how you power the auger, once you start using these for annuals, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner....cuts the time at least in half...and because the soil is pulverized, the plants get off to a better start

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have been looking for an excuse to buy the stihl gas drill for the last yr. now I got a reason, it will let my wife plant HER annuals easier Thank Everyone

Mac

10. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I only use my gas drill to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs. I would worry about annuals thriving in hard clay.