1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tropical Trim, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Has anyone hve some experience with earth augers. I'm looking to purchase one in the near future and would appreciate some feedback on reliable,sturdy, and well made augers. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks alot!
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you plan on using it for? I've used the same Echo engine drill for the last 8 years and use it for installing Floratam grass plugs. Never had any problems with it. It payed for itself the very first time I used it!
  3. Tropical Trim

I'll be using the auger to dig holes for irrigation heads when installing irrigation systems. Also for planting gallon size or smaller plants in landscape. I thought that instead of digging a large amount of holes with a spade shovel,(which we have been doing) a auger will cut labor dramatically. Any other methods to cut labor and fatigue?
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tropical Trim,

You won't be sorry you got one. If you have a lot of holes to drill the time savings can be dramatic. Concerning drilling 1 gal holes for plants......I have never used mine for that purpose but know that that size auger is available, but don't know how hard it would be to use in anything other than sandy soil with such a large auger.
  5. Tropical Trim

Thanks for the reply. Good point on trying to use a 12" bit on hard soil. The auger must surely take you for a ride! Never thought about that. Thanks again.
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Large two man earth augers for fence posts, poles, trees, and shrubs.... and I've used the small gas engine powered drills.

I used the small drills for landscape timbers and general construction work. The Large auger worked great for plantings, etc.

I'm not sure that drill head will give you a 12" hole in normal ground. You may have to drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit first so it has something to ride down into.

It should work for your application though. You could always demo one if your buying it locally.

Good Luck, and hope this helps!
  7. Tropical Trim

Thanks for the info. What brands would you recommend for durability and reliability. I've seen the Tanaka brand auger before. Have you by any chance used one of these? If so would you recommend buying a Tanaka? Thanks again for the info.
  8. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I have a alot of Tanaka equipment, including an auger and gas powered drill. I have had good success with all of it.
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The one we have now is a Tanaka. It worfs great for what we use it for. Never had any problems with it. In Guam, we had a Stihl or an Echo I think, can't recall. The shaft was broken and it was collecting dust.
  10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

You might give this set up a shot. The bit is 3" wide and comes in lengths of 7", 12" and 24"

“Before Tanaka drills, 400 plants per day. With a Tanaka TED-262R and 7” bulb bit, 1,000 per day!”

Fred Kellams, Landscape Architect, Noblesville, IN.

Bulb Planting Hero.jpg