1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

August Pickups !!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matts Mowing, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many of you out there are have a pick up of calls for lawn service in August? I have only been in the business 4 years but EVERY year I receive a large amount of calls in August. I advertise in the local small city newspaper and their is a ton of competition around. It seems that I receive more calls this time of year than I do in the spring. I assume that either they get tired of mowing this time of year or their LCO went out of business. :confused: Gotta Love August !!!!:D
  2. gottamow

gottamow LawnSite Member

That's encouraging news to me. I just started my business (part-time) this month. I made the decision today to place an add in the local paper. I figured in the long run it would be worth it even if I just got a few clients out of it. I hope it works for me like it has you.
  3. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

I tried the fliers when I first started. I sent out about 500 and received 3 calls and actually landed 2. I put my ad out the next month and have never looked back. I get several calls a day and it is well worth the money. Good luck in your business gottamow....
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up 3 lawns yesterday, 2 of them include fertilizing.
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get a few new accounts in Aug. This year I got 1 from a new home owner and 2 from unhappy service. Just a note about unhappy service. Any time I have gotten new accounts this way, it is because the LCO didn't get there on time or at all or didn't call the customer to discuss the problem. If you have a problem with a customer and you don't want to get fired, get on the phone. It is not always about quality.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up another account for today, think it has got too hot for some lol
  7. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

I put an ad in the paper about a week ago hoping to get some that were unsatisfied. Havn't received one call yet. Still have 7 more weeks though.
  8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

the surge in accounts in fall is most likely due to all the highschool and college kids who have started up shop this year and now are going back to school and cant handle the load.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I agree as that too is why I think we get these calls. We picked up 2 new accts yesterday while I was here in the office on the computer on lawnsite:p and those were from postcards we had mailed back in May. More than the accts I am glad that it shows that folks are holding on to the cards for possible future work for us instead of throwing them away:D
  10. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have also been suprised how long people hold on the cards and fliers. I have had and excellent second year. I too have found that the most important thing you can do is showup when you say you will or call when you can't. I get so many complaints about the customer never knowing when there grass would be cut.