Augustine fungus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fishindude, Sep 17, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

Would it be possible to some pictures of various types of fungus found in St. Augustine grass? I live in East Texas and have a few patches in a yard that are questionable. Not sure if they are brown patch or what. Or if there is a web site I can see some illustrations. Thanks eric

2. sprayguy

sprayguy LawnSite Member

If the st augustine recently with cooler night time temperatures started to develop brownish areas, most of the time circular, the grass blades will pull up and look slimey that is definitly brown patch. As a preventative in future you can apply prostar fungicide and reduce the spore count and generally keep that fungus in check. If you grab the entire plant and pull up and the roots come up effortlessly you probably had some grubworm damage.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We get calls all the time....come look at my St Augustine it just don't look nice and green and has circles. This is what we ask them in email.
    1. Tell me about you fertilizing program
    2. What have you done for grubs/cinch bugs
    3. Tell me about watering
    4. What have you done to build the soil--medina/composite tea/compost
    5. What do you do for fungus...chemical or corn meal or anything?
    Just do all these things along with regular mowing and sun and the grass will do just fine. Once we find out if they really what to spend some money then we go out for a visit, usually they are looking for a miracle worker.