Auto line feed for trimmers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Moeandlarry, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Moeandlarry

Moeandlarry LawnSite Member

Are any of the auto line feed heads for trimmers reliable? What type of line feed do you prefer?
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl Auto cut 25 and Gator Magnum line.
  3. Moeandlarry

Moeandlarry LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a weedeater trimmer that the line binds in and doesn't feed well. I think I will buy a commercial trimmer if their line feed is reliable. I have noticed that Echo now has a quick change line head that isn't a autofeed. Which option do you think is best? No problems with the line binding with the Stihl head? Thanks
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

they make the auto feed but i perfer the quick change
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

It's all in how you wind the line.
    First,pull out enough line to almost fill the spool.It's pretty much a guessing game.
    Next,run the line through the line holding eyelet on the inside of the spool.Pull through until you have equal amounts of line hanging from spool.
    Now,start at the inside of the spool with both lines in hand.Use your index finger to keep the lines away from one another while your spooling the line.Load them both in the same direction.
    Once you get the spool almost full,stop and put the trimmer head back on the spool.Use the line holders on the edge of the spool to hold the line until you get the head on.
    Now,cut any excess line you have hanging out of the head.
    Fire it up,and go to trimming.