Auto Trans Shift Improver Kits

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chopper Lover, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 4x4 and I am considering having a shift improver kit for better towing installed in my auto transmission. If I were building a high performance car I would not think twice about it, but I am not sure about a truck. Has anyone ever done this or have any comments on the pro's or con's to doing so?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 LawnSite Member
    from ga

you can buy a b&m shift improver from summit they sell one for 40.00 it just has 2 wires that you have to hook up to the computer has 3 settings off. firm. and firmer. i would try this first before going into the tran.

3. Chopper Lover

4x4...

Thanks for the tip about the electronic/computer operated shift kit. I ordered it from http://www.JEGS.com because they were a tad bit cheaper on shipping than Summit and JEG'S has been sending me free catalogs for a few months. I figured I should give them the business. I figured $45 for everything was well worth it.

While the post was waiting for a reply to this question I called one of those radio car talk shows and spoke to the host. He advised me a shift improver kit would be beneficial. He also mentioned that depending on the size of the factory cooler the installation of a larger transmission cooler could help significantly.

In about a week or so I will post my results from the change.

Thanks again!
    Mark

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mark,do you have the Z82 tow pkg? it has the auxilary cooler if you do,If you have the aux cooler it is infront of the condeser,and can be seen thru the grille without even opening the hood.If you do,then you are set,if not,add an aux cooler,at least 19KGVWR rated.if your towing a tall trailer or heavy(over 4K) dont use OD.The B&M kit raises line pressure,which is better for towing.If you decide to go further with performance,the Hypertech powerprogrammer 3 is the best and you can raise shift points with it,as well as firm them up.You can advance timing and power with the press of a button(but then you have to run 92 octane and use a 160 degree Tstat).The power improvement is very noticeable.

5. Chopper Lover

Thanks John,

I do have the towing package and I have have seen the cooler. The emphasis from the radio "car guy" was to install one if there was none or go with a bigger one if the unit from the factory was small. I guess the plan is the more heat you get rid of the better. Since friction is the enemy I am also considering switching to synthetics when I get my tranny flushed. Every little bit helps.

Thanks again for the input.
    Mark

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mark that cooler is plenty big,you also have the radiator cooler still.The cooler you have is the same one as the 454 1 tons have that can tow 12,500 lbs,so dont bother adding another.

7. Chopper Lover

OK Guys...

I installed the electronic shift kit from B&M and it works great!

The installation was simple and would have taken less than 30 minutes had the battery on my cordless drill not died...

I give this product 2 thumbs up!

4x4, Thanks for the tip.

Mark

8. badtoy76

badtoy76 LawnSite Member

Hey Chopper Lover
    I have a Trans Go shift kit in my truck(1976 GMC with 35-inch tires and 3.73 gears). I went with this kit because I didn't quite like the wat the B&M always shifted hard no matter what rpm I was at. The trans go shifts quite smooth at lower rpms(cruising) and shifts extremely fast and hars when I mash the throttle(racing or bogging). I also had some other work done to the tranny as well(Cheetah valve body, extra heavy duty clutches, etc...). Just thuoght I would add my own 2 cents.

9. badtoy76

badtoy76 LawnSite Member

Hey Chopper Lover
    I have a Trans Go shift kit in my truck(1976 GMC with 35-inch tires and 3.73 gears). I went with this kit because I didn't quite like the wat the B&M always shifted hard no matter what rpm I was at. The trans go shifts quite smooth at lower rpms(cruising) and shifts extremely fast and hars when I mash the throttle(racing or bogging). I also had some other work done to the tranny as well(Cheetah valve body, extra heavy duty clutches, etc...). Just thuoght I would add my own 2 cents.