automated mower!! to replace you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlpineNaturescapes, Jan 20, 2006.

1. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

<a href="http://www.selfguidedsystems.com">self-guided mower</a> here. What do you all think?

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds good in theory for a homeowner, but I do not think that it is going to replace us anytime soon. Heck, we should all buy 10-20 of them and just cut them loose on our customers lawns and cut back on labor LOL:) Just kidding!

3. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

I was actually thinking about those last year... Thinking how much I could get done with about 10 of them... Drop them off in 10 yards then come back and pick them up later. ;) Need some type of GPS tracking/security cutoff in case someone tried to swipe them while you're at the bar waiting for them to finish the first batch of lawns. Probably do 30-40 a day if one could get them to work right. Just need to go to each house to edge and trim while the mowers are running.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Yeah maybe they will come out with an automated trimmer/edger that once done has a little blower that will clean everything up. Drop off the machines, and go do what you have to do. Heck you could hire two laborers at $15 an hour and there only job is to pick up machines and drop them off at the next location. Meanwhile, you can just sit back and lounge in your nice comfy chair. Man, sign me up.

5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

They talk about turning a business that grosses $500,000/yr and profits $41,000 into a business that will profit $128,000 with their system.
    My question is for those large LCO'c that gross $500,000, you mean to tell me that $41,000 is the profit? :dizzy:
    What's wrong with those numbers?????

kc

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Yeah if you gross 500k and only profit 41k there is something funny there.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing wrong with those numbers. 8% profit is a true number. That is just a little less than I did this year. This is real business accounting. Not lawnboy math. Profit is what the company makes NOT what you pay yourself, This is something that most guys don't understand about profit. If someone on here talks about 50% profit they are doing math wrong. When you use an accountant, these are the numbers he will use. Most would be surprised to learn that they are below this as far as profit goes. Most would find that they are below 0.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Yeah that is true, I know a contractor that makes herds of cash 200 - 300k a year. However, they have had years that they shown No profit.

9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

If you read through ALL of the website you will see the 38" cut unit is $3995,,,, BUT, the company charges YOU $8.50 per hour that it runs after you buy it.....................
    So if you put 1500 hours on it in a year you pay the company another $12,750.00 OOOOFFFFFF. They must be kidding. And its not a lease either.
    They do say a bigger 62" cut unit will be coming out. After you are paying them $8.50 per hour of its running time,,, how is that much different than an employee. I think the $8.50 per hour fee will scare away many potential buyers.
    Why don't they just price the 38" mower at $5995 out the door and done for extra fees accept the GPS phone line for say $20-$40 a month?

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love to buy one of these and try it out this season BUT the 8.50 hr fee will stop me dead in my tracks. the whole reason to get one is to eliminate a labor cost. For $8.50 an hour I can hire someone to run a 48" wb and blow away the productivity of one of these. I know costs will be reduced in the future and I don't know how important the gps cell phone cost is to the navigation element but if they sell one without the hourly charge - the cell phone and gps I'll ty it. I don't think $8.50 per hour for theft protection is worth it when I'll be onsite anyway. I realize that may be an important feature for homeowners who want it to cut while they are not home but not for a LCO. Someone still has to be onsite to trim and blow off as well as set up mower. Now I could see becomming a dealer of these with the hourly fee paid by the homeowner. I would get a sales commission ,fee to setup and install one for a customer and be paid to trouble shoot it for them . It would be their headache and hourly fee and my $$ would come from its screw ups. I still don't see that replacin thier total cost of lawn maintenance any time soon. Sell them outright and forget the hourly fee!!and I'm in