Automatic mosquito control systems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bugpage, Sep 26, 2003.

1. bugpage

bugpage LawnSite Member

Is anyone out there an installer for backyard automatic mosquito control systems? Just wondering what type of success there is. We manufacturer one but have been in other markets since 1985.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is this something like the existing "Mosquito Magnet"??? (The propane run control unit.)

3. bugpage

bugpage LawnSite Member

No, it is not like the Magnet. It is a pumping unit that supplies insecticide to nozzles placed around the yard and then sprays early in the morning and then at night. I've heard some feedback from southern states, but was looking for more feedback from everywhere. We are thinking of promoting it nation-wide.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How involved is installation??? Is this something for homeowners to do???

5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

6. bugpage

bugpage LawnSite Member

Installation can be done by either the homeowner or landscaper, pest control operator, lawn care professional, etc..

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of questions about this machine.

If a licensed applicator installs one of these units, are there regulations that allow you to leave a machine in place that will dispense pesticides while the applicator is not present?

How do you make sure that pets or children will not be in the area of the nozzle with the insecticide is dispensed?

Any idea what kind of exposure as far as liability a licensed applicator will be subjected to if a child somehow gets into the pesticide in the machine?

Any input as to insurance coverages, will a licensed applicator be required to maintain additional isurance to cover this type of equipment?

What liability will be incurred by the applicator if the home owner tries to modify the machine and is injured?

Does the manufactures liability insurance cover the installer?

8. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Those are great questions, Medic. I have done some research here in Texas. It seems I could sell, install and sell the insecticide, too. But the customer has to mix and pour themselves. That would keep me under the Ag Dept as far as licensing.

I also see there is a manufacturer here in Houston that is also selling and installing them...

Drew

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Might work better IMO anyway, to combine the two programs, autosprayer, and mosquito barrier. I know I don't like the idea of the mosquito magnet that some companies are selling, last thing I want to do is attract more mosquitos :D

10. bugpage

bugpage LawnSite Member

Is there any liquid concentrate product out there that mixes with water for mosquito control other than Mosquito Barrier and Cedarcide? We've found both of them only worked some of the time.