Automatic trimmer heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think of automatic trimmer heads?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by automatic? Are you meaning bump heads, or fully "smart" heads? I run bump heads, myself, even though I run without guards. The reason I like bump heads, is the quickness of string release and wind up a notch or two if needed. (I wind in a notch just before I recut it to length or to sharpen it, then I just bump it out again after cutting it.) Note: Always cut the shortest string first! LOL!

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What I am asking about are the fully automatic trimmer heads....the ones that you "bump" to feed are known as semi-automatic. The fully automatics either feed by changes in RPM or automatically keep a set string length via springs and what-not. At least I'm pretty sure that's how they work.

I ask because it sounds like a good idea. And I know you guys have opinions on them and some of you have probably even used them b4.

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

i have been using them for about 15 years.the ones i use are called the brain by tanaka.thier about $45.00 .they will fit most trimmers.they work great most of the time,but the trimmer has to be in good shape.they are hard to find and parts are hard to find.i like them but thier maybe something better out there

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'd stay with a bump head. I went back and forth with the "Brain" and the standard Echo bump. The standard Echo (same as most standard heads) is a fair amount lighter and is easier on your arms. Also, though I like the Brain, it just takes too long to speed the rpm up, "'and" then let it slow down to "complete" the cycle of letting the string out. The Echo, because it's lighter, also has less vibration. FYI, I "over balance" my heads so at full rpm there is " no" vibration in the machine. With the bump head, there's no substitute for the being able to increase string the second you need it.
    Pete

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete,
    What exactly do you mean by"over balance" your trimmer head?? Are you running a single line and need to add weight to keep head in balance?? I would think that dual strings, being released equally would self balance. ED

7. Doc Pete

I drill 5 holes equally spaced in the side of the head and screw a small sheet metal screw in one of the holes, and run the machine. Then I go to the next hole and run the machine again. You end up with one hole that takes out most of the vibration. Then, to fine tune things, I try a bigger or small screw in the same spot and settle on what works best.

It's amazing that you can get basically all the vibration in the shaft out. The reason I say over balanced is, if you take the balanced head and put it on another machine it will vibrate. The reason for this is part of the head balances out the imbalance in the clutch and crank of the "particular" machine it's on.
    Pete

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i would prefer the bump head as ,in certain situations i run a longer line. that thing might not allow it.

9. Doc Pete

Yup, that too. After using both for years, for me, the light standard twin line bump head is just more productive....
    Pete

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Veri automatic trimmer heads on all my Shindaiwa T-270's. True, they are about $45 apiece. But on Ebay,I bought 10 of them for $110.