1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

I know I'm gonna open a can of worms with this one,but whats better automatic or standard transmissions?
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Having driven vehicles with both types of Transmissions over the years, I would say that an automatic on a truck that has been setup for plowing has to be the way to go.

Those clutches wreak havoc on old knees!!!!
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

And plowing wreaks havoc on clutches!

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

No can of worms here auto is the way to go,most I think will agree.But hey if a stick is what you got that will work, not near a relexing.But most who have been plowing very long have done it,and thats why we say autos the way to go.
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess that if you are the one driving the truck, then a clutch might not be too bad (except for the knees and the thigh muscle that ends up being the size of your chest). If you "own" it, and drive it, you'll probably not abuse the clutch. I had a standard the first 9 years of plowing, and didn't burn a clutch out once.

However, if you're going to put an employee in that standard tranny truck - plan on a clutch a year. That had been our experience, and now we only purchase automatics for employees who plow.

Additionally, let's face it. Going in reverse is a large part of the plowing operation of any vehicle (other than road plowing). So, I am of the opinion that you cannot back up anywhere near as fast with a standard as you can with an automatic - however, some guys will argue with you on that point.
  6. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Automatic all the way! Good thing about a manual is though, that they only go out right in the middle of a snowstorm and the part won't be available for 2 days and the shop is backed up for 2 weeks. John: Does the video show you how to plow in reverse? Maybe an advanced subject for the next video.
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Auto all the way, if the truck is going to plow. The F 650 that plowed last year and it was an auto. My driver an older guy and said big truck needs a stick, I said try it. He tried it and liked it, he thought you would need a standard to shift through the gears (which can be done on auto, anyway).

Granted my L9000s are all sticks, but then again they don't plow.

8. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Auto is they way to go,but if your doing highways stick would be fine.I prefer auto when i plow when I plowed for the town i had the clean up job small roads intersections and after all that plow the roads and if i had a stick my leg would be dead.
  9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

No Storm, it's not in the video. But it IS an advanced technique. Ya see, you gotta turn around in the seat, put your butt up on the steering wheel, snake one leg down to the pedals, grab onto the sliding window in the rear of the cab, and just wiggle back and forth to steer. You "see" by the reflection in the rear slider.

It's an art. Little uncomfortable, but only the REALLY experienced guys can do it. I'm still working on it myself.

Although I hear it's easier in an L-9000. Besides, in an L-9000 you don't know (or care) if you hit anything because you can't feel it.
  10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

How about a rear mounted pusher box. We all know it won't work on the front, because of the loss of steering control. On the rear, the springs are stiffer, the wheels don't turn, the weight would be off the "front" so steering could work.... AND that low reverse gear could be put to real use..... My first thought was to mount a bucket on the rear for stacking..... With the front wheels in the rear, it could manuever better, much like small fork lifts. The rear can take more weight....
    ahhh, nevermind.

(See? Meaningless garble, now if I vented my head using the BRL method, all of this may have been clearer!)