1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Automotive Oil Filter w/Anti Drain Back Ok?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by therock, Nov 12, 2013.

1. therock

therock LawnSite Member

I seen a landscaper's Briggs V-Twin using Mobil1 M1-209 (PT Cruiser Turbo) oil filter. What I liked was the added length as mine is a pain to grab or get a band wrench onto.

So I looked it up and see it has anti-drain back. I also seen an old forum post speaking of how it added 1/4 quart.

Just though I would ask here before doing anything.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, it will work fine. Ya want the anti-drainback feature. Most oil filters nowadays use an anti-drainback setup.
    I have switched to Fram # PH3614 (which is the longer unit) 'cause it's got the gripper stuff on the end, which makes fer easy-on, ez-off. Personally, I am not a big fan of Fram for use on my vehicles, but that's another story...

Most any name brand filter that crosses to briggs # 491056 (long) or 492932s
    ( short) will do. It ain't a race motor.
  3. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

More oil capacity is the reason I always use the biggest filter for my kohler motors. Thats always a good thing.
  4. therock

therock LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys, I put it on this PM. It added 1/3 Quart to the capacity.

I'm running Castrol HD 30 due to the generous amount of Zinc (ZMMD) contained there in.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im not an engineer but I alaways figured a oil filter that the engine calls for would be best, especially in air cooled small engines. I may be wrong.
  6. therock

therock LawnSite Member

Not for the faint of heart eh?

Here is a link to one dissected. And if they go longer than they should and clog there is no bypass.

Here is a LINK to a cross reference of many filters that will fit a Briggs.
  7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It still puzzles me how and why folks run dang molasses straight 30 weight oil in these engines, that some kind of thick oil from back in the days of loose-compression engines, I use that stuff as bar oil in my chainsaws and maybe in the heat of summer but how does that work in winter, I run synthetic 5w-30...
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. therock

therock LawnSite Member

I just follow the Brigg Instructions about 40°F and above.
  9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Ya mean you're actually gonna follow the manufacturer's recommendations? Say it ain't so!!

Most still call for 30wt above a certain temp!
    I don't own any high dollar equip., but if I did, I would sure follow the motor mfg. recommendations!
    I use straight 30 wt in most all of the equip. I repair, temps. permitting.

That's one big honkin' filter! I hope ya pre-filled it before install.
  10. therock

therock LawnSite Member

Yeh, well with the 30W designation anyways. I pulled the plug wires and spun it some first.