aux. fan quit.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cclllc, Jul 7, 2005.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1985 C-30 .I noticed the aux. fan has quit spinning.I checked and I'm not getting power to it.My question is,is there a relay,water temp switch,or something which makes it come on and off? Also what fuse would it be tied into.I looked at the schematic and can't find the fan.I'm sure there are some of those out there still running.Thanks.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I might do if you have a temp gauge is to run the engine at idle until the temperature is past the point where the fan should kick in, then check the voltage again. Don't run it way too hot, but 10 or 20 degrees past normal shouldn't hurt (I've ran engines TO the redline many times, but I'd say 3/4 ways should be enough).

3. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

WELL IF ALL ELSE FAILS OR A FACTORY PARTS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE TRY WHAT I DO. I HAVE AN OLD FORD THAT DIDNT HAVE AN AUX FAN UNTIL I ADDED ONE. THERE IS AN ADJUSTABLE TEMP SENSOR/FAN CONTROL AVAILABLE.......I GOT MINE AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS ... ADJUSTABLE FAN CONTORL Imperial 226204
    :D . YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT THE ORIGINAL POWER WIRE AND SPLICE IN THE NEW SWITCH/CONTROL , CONNECT THE POWER TO THE BATTERY AND INSTALL THE TEMP SENSOR. ABOUT A HALF HOUR JOB WITH BASIC TOOLS. I HAVE DONE THIS ON MANY DIFFERENT CARS , THE FANS DONT BURN UP ITS USUALLY THE FACTORY WIRE HARNESS OR SWITCH. P.S. MOST OF THE GUYS THAT WORK AT AN AUTO PARTS PLACE HAVE NO FREAKIN IDEA WHAT THIS IS. :angry: IF THEY DONT HAVE IT THE SOMETIMES A SPEED SHOP IS A GOOD PLACE TO CHECK TOO. GOOD LUCK

4. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have A/C, turn that on, as most systems require the fan to run with the A/C on

5. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Tried that.