Aux lights on open trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Oct 17, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Now that it's fall and getting darker earlier, we usually work till after dark and it's hard to put everything on the trailer right and be safe and all. So I decided to put a big light on the trailer. I went to Napa today and picked up a tractor type light and a switch which I am going to mount on the back side of the gas rack. I am going to hook the light into the tail lights on the trailer and then put a switch before the the light. This way it can be swithed on and off. i will also be usefull for backing up. i didn't get a chance to do it today so i'm going to put it on tomorrow. Just wondering what you guys think, if anybody's ever tried it or anything.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's an idea! I just turn the light I have on the Lazer on. Since it sits at the very back of the trailer, it shines on everything. I'll tell you what would be nice. That would be a flourescent, or a worklight type of fixture, you know, like the standup ones at Home Depot and such? Definitely a usable idea though!

3. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

please let me know how this turns out i myself
    was thinking of this i also work into the night when i
    mow large lots

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Idea Little green, we have a headache rack on our trucks that have a bunch of lights facing backwards for that reason and during the major plowing season we have. I might just put anotherone on trailer too can never be to safe.

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We were thinking about putting some of the 3M reflective tape like they use on tractor trailers on our 6x10. We pull our trailer behind a Suburban, so whoever is passing you has no idea that there is a trailer back there--sticking out 6" more than the Suburban! We've got some narrow roads around here! Also, the trailer is black.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, i did it today and it works real nice. I also put some side marker light on as well for extra visabilty while we're parked on the road.

I mounted the light on the back rail of the gas rack on the trailer, than I ran a wire to a toggle swith that i mounted on the frame kinda near the jack. I spliced into the tail lights so when the headlights are on we can just flip the toggle switch if we need the light.