1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Auxiliary Lights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Oct 14, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd like to add some auxiliary lights to my utility vehicle. Currently it has (2) 37.5 watt headlights. The alternator is rated at 13 amps and has a 32-amp hour,295cca battery. How many watts can I safely add to the system?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

In AC, a 120 Watt bulb pulls 1 amp. To figure this you divide Volts by Watts to get Amps, so if DC is the same, 12 Volts times 13 Amps should be 156 Watts. I run 6 big hallogen lights on my JD 430 in the winter with a blinking light, 3 head lights and two tail lights and have never had a problem. I don't remember what the Watts of the Lights are or the Amps of the Alternator, but I will try to look it up for you.
  3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Watts = Amps x Volts in both AC & DC.

The reason why the WHOLE world isn't DC is because you can't change the voltage like AC.

Anyway, Eric's math is correct, you can safely have 150 or so watts without a problem. You do have SOME reserve with the battery, but you don't want to have extended periods of battery discharge.