average bid for mulching

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JAnger, Jul 16, 2004.

1. JAnger

JAnger LawnSite Member

How much do you guys charge per cu yard for mulching? I am trying to bid my first mulching job and don't have any idea where to begin. I have been working hourly but am finding out there is much more money to be had in bidding per job. Thank you for responding.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Do a Search this question has been answeared hunderds of times

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $65.00 per yard.

4. EmeraldHills03

EmeraldHills03 LawnSite Member

JAnger,

The way I charge for a mulch job is by charging 100% more of what the cost of mulch is on my part. So for example if you are paying $28 for dyed mulch, I would take $28 + Sales Tax than X's that by two. You may run into a situation where the mulch is cheaper and might wanna raise your price a bit higher. For Example: Hardwood mulch $15 + Sales Tax= $16 X 2= $32... thats not enough in my book so i raised to current prices in my area and charge $45. Hope that provides you with some help!!!

5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Depends of the prep. I Emerald 2x the cost of the mulch. If there is no prep go with that. You will likely have to weed and cut an edge. Charge for that $35/hr or more depending on your area. Also dont forget PITA charge if you are wheel barrowing muclch far into the property.

6. EmeraldHills03

EmeraldHills03 LawnSite Member

All Degree,

Thats excatly what I do as well. I was only answering JAngers's question on what to price the job at. But Yes, Those factors also come in to play if prep work in needed as well as just placing the mulch down. If that wasn't under concideration there would be a loss at job completion. So JAnger, thats a very good point All Degree is concidering that should go along with your estimate.