Average charge for private accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Personal Touch, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Personal Touch

Personal Touch LawnSite Member
    from MD

Just wanted to know a few things about residential accounts. Do you guys charge per month or quaterly? Also whats the going rate for a small sized front and back yard to a full sized?

Thanks

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

You will need to use the search engine.....and give some more details. In my area 1/2 acre is about as small as it gets......so my price will be different than someone that runs 1/4 acres......

D

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

it varies here. some guys cgarhe monthly, some guys charge per cut....some guys run with contracts some dont...

Size is relative....some guys are proud of their work(rightfully so) and charge accordinlgy, some guy like to give their work away.....

Iknow I'm not giving you the answer you are looking for. but your price has to depend on factors like your overhead, and to a point you price can be dictated bythe competition and what the market can bear. And finally, what kind of money per hour are lookingto net...

Hi rent hoods will garner a higher price for the same size lot versus tract homes in a cookie cutter hood....

4. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Its all on time. How long do you think it will take you to cut the lawn. I do an estimate like this.........

Time to cut =35min
    Line trimming= 20min
    Eding= 5min
    Blowing= 10min
    I want to make 35 per hour.
    Cost to do this house is $41.00 per visit.

5. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

how many of you use a wheel for estimates?

6. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Walk around the property figure how long itll take to mow, trim, and blow try to get 50-60 per hr. I get 30-35 for 50x100-0r 50x150 depending on how much string trimming. I have some customers that pay weekly some monthly. Keep the route tight, save gas less windshield time.Once you start in a neighborhood and do good work youll get bussiness!!

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

on small props no real need to use a wheel it becomes more of an eyeball factor. but on large multi acre properties getting accurate measurments is of great importance. not just for estimating price/time, but figuring out mulch/chemical/fert quantities

Again easy enough to eyball 10K sq feet and a few yards of mulch....but when you get up over 100 yds of mulch and 5 acres of grass on one property, your have to be awful sharp.

If I was going back into the field, Id consider looking into some sort of a GPS device... Prices are dropping fast....Or look into overhead satelite or county maps. most have scales and again can get you in the ball park.

Rather than a wheel, which would end up taking space behind the seat of yoru truck. measure your pace and get used to pacing out a job. Again its not as exact as a wheel, but better than the eyeball and if youve got your feet and can walk....you don't need to carry the wheel around.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here, I'm pretty good at eyeballing smaller stuff up to half an acre or a little more. Any larger and I get the wheel out if I'm not sure.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to think that, too...
    Then it dawned on me: McDonald's doesn't charge rich people more than poor...

Once I got rid of that mindset, I felt better too.
    Now I charge them all the same, if it's the same size lot and the work is about the same, so is the price.
    And, they pay.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with the rest of the guys, HIGHLY recommended you have some type of assistance with large lots...
    For me it gets tricky past 3/4 acres, once I approach the acre lot, it gets difficult.
    I don't have a wheel, just never got used to it, I guess...
    But I find this site of great assistance:
    www.zillow.com

Personally, I feel you must have assistance and wish I had some of this kind of help when I started.
    When I bid these lots and folks ask me how I did it, I tell them I looked it up...
    Then I ask them if they've gotten other prices, and if the price range so far is pretty wild...
    Usually the answer is yes, to both.
    Then I tell them to find out what size their lot is, in case I am wrong or whatever, and to take things from there.
    IF they're willing to pay the price, I usually get my bids (meaning, so long they weren't thinking 10 bucks / hour).

But it's got to the point, I zillow EVERY lot anymore, to help eliminate the guesswork.
    It's not perfect, some lots may have sizeable portions in the woods... But it helps.
    So...

As for mulch, I can tolerate estimates up to 12 cu.yds...
    But much beyond that, they're better off calling the guys with the blower truck, it's cheaper / yard than what I can do it for (and in most cases, I ain't in no mood to deal out 20+ cu.yds of mulch, I can't afford to put everybody else on hold like that).

Once you get into the big jobs, it's as hard to get a yes out of them as it is on the smaller stuff...
    I don't get too many big jobs, but they do come around.
    Either way, some type of assisting guide is great to have, helps keep your mind sharp and prevents mistakes.