Average % cost of materials?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, May 9, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

On average, what is the percentage cost of your materials. Anotherwards, if you gross $100,000 per year, do you pay $25,000 or 25% for materials? I am guessing in the neighborhood of 25%-30%....some might be lower, but I am curious? I know it will vary from application to application, but looking for an overall ballpark figure.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Pre emergent with weed control, apps cost about 40-50%

Then, fert apps with spot spray down to about 20%.

We use all high end products, so our costs are a bit higher, but I think the results are there to justify the cost.

EG

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Ok...thanks...I don't feel so bad. My pre emergent with weed control is running around 50% and fertilizer applications are slightly higher than 23%. Those percentages are based on products coming from Lesco.

4. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Materials don't bother me. It's labor and fuel that's a killer.

EG

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Average chem percentages would depend on the type of properties you service, the program you run and the area of the country you are in. For example, commercial properties tend to run larger acreage and quite probably a different level of expectations with cost driving decision making. You get a larger bulk with one client, but your per 1000/acreage cost may come down significantly to compete on a price point. For a residential, what you charge per acre may be 4-6 times as high, but it may take 10 resis to equal that acre, in many metro areas. The cost of getting that customer and servicing them(marketing, billing, service calls, etc.) will be much different than a commercial customer based on the sq. ft. , but so will the pricing, depending on your market. Long story short, chem costing can be as low as under 10% for residentials in many markets in mid round applications. It can be as high as 60% as a leader for tie in work in pre-emergent based rounds.