1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

average hourly rate

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by plow4u, Sep 27, 2000.

1. plow4u

plow4u LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if anyone could tell an average hourly rate for my 2000 Ram 2500 w/ 7.5 plow with wings and tailgate mini spreader. All of my contracts are priced per push and was ask the other day by a prospect what I would charge per hour.
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how many hours a typical winter will generate for you.

If you only make 5-10 trips in an AVERAGE winter, your hourly rate would need to be $150+

If you make 40 trips/winter, obviously you could charge less.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

There are WAY too many variables from area to area to be able to talk "average dollars".

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I know things change a lot from area to area, and we've hashed it over before, but I think if your in the neighborhood of $125 per hour with that rig for plowing, you'll be close. Now if your local market will pay that is another question. Residential and small businesses may balk in some areas at that.

No matter what the rate you determine in your head to shoot for, most here seem to feel that translating that into a per plow or per season charge is probably the way to go. It is easier to get the general public to accept it that way, at least the ones who cannot understand the concepts of overhead and true operating costs.
  5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's facinating you say "residentials and small commercials".

Around here, large commercials pay only $45-55 per truck/hour, (CONTRACT price, not subs) and we average less than 200 hours/winter.

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

It sounds like you have similar amounts as we do. We will get under 20 snowfalls of 1 inch per year, about a dozen to 15 two inchers.

So you think 125 per hour is way high?

Around here subs with a straight blade and no back blade can get 50/hr. with no problem.

If I'm gonna sign a seasonal, I figure it at $125, to cover my butt just in case of the big winter.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

in ohio depending on the account and such i average 100 per hour gross my subs get 35/hr and no under table cash
    there are too many contractors to bring prices up i think 50/hr for sub seems expensive for reg truck w/ straight blade

20 plows---1 to 6 inches

40 saltings trace and up
  8. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

Not to change the topic but all I do is sub (truck & 9" blade)and I get 55.00 per hour in SW Ohio
  9. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

CCSwanson- yeh, I bet you are worth it, if you have been plowing for a couple of years. We pay $40 to start and $50 for experienced subs. Do you have your own liability insurance?

Lazer- $45-$50 for hourly work? Are you in the same Michigan that I am? Our state is shaped like a hand, right? Seriously though, like I said in another post, we locked a contract for a 8 acre site that was getting done at $55 per truck hour. When I met with the supervisor and he told me that, I had to chuckle right in his face. I told him we will not even come close tohat rate, but we will do a quality, effective timely job. Well we got the contact. I work on contact/per push, not per hour; but we base all work at $115 per hour.
  10. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

Doug 406.. I have been doing sub work for about 10 years even though I have never operated with liability insurance until this year (thanks to this site) always thought that was the orginal contractors responsbility