Average Life

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ProLandscapes, Dec 4, 2001.

1. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

What is the Average life of a Lazer Z 61" with a 25 Kohler?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if I was to rebuild one would it be feasible? ie New Motor, spindles, pulleys, belts, hydros etc. Thanks in advance. Josh
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Average life is usually determined by one of two factors or a combination of both. While a Lazer can go 3500+ hours with relatively minor repairs there is an increasing number of professionals that are retiring units at 2000 hours or 3 years. In addition of repair costs you've also got to consider the possible downtime associated with a failure and new technology. With the use of more canister type air filters on machines the life of the engines has been greatly increased, which incidentally has always been the weakest link on many of the commercial riding mowers. It all comes down to maintenance, operation and terrain. Generally you get out of a Lazer exactly what you put into it. Good maintenance and proper operation usually mean long life. Poor maintenance and improper operation generally will reduce the life.

I'm not a big fan of rebuilt machines being the primary piece of equipment for any commercial cutter. The last thing you want is to spend a few thousand dollars rebuilding the engine, deck assemblies, new belts, bearings and tires through out just to have a 5 cent bolt shut you down in the middle of your most important account. Granted this is possible even with a new machine but much less likely. If the machine will be used as a back up or on a secondary crew that maybe does not have as full of a schedule then your probably okay.

Now with that being said youÂ’ve covered all of the major components other than the hydros. If your doing the proper maintenance to the hydros, correct filters and correct fluid. Your not abusing the hydro drive system with solid filled tires or pulling heavy attachments you should be in good shape there. I would also look at all of the spring loaded idlers, drive lever dampeners, wheel bearings and inspect all electrical connections for corrosion while I'm fixing everything else. Also if your going to be spending several hours a day on the machine you might want to look at replacing the seat.

You should also factor in the advantages of a new machine such as reduced down time, latest technology, and a full warranty. All these add up to much less risk for you and your business.

Whichever direction you decide to go just remember a little extra up front can pay big dividends in the long run.

Good luck

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 2000 hours on my Lazer 60" 25 Kohler. No engine problems (other that carb was cleaned), no hydro problems (change fluid and filter yearly), replaced spindle bearings at about 1500 hours. Broke one deck support piece at about 1600 hours. Other than the above mentioned tires, belts, and blades. It has been a great machine!