Average Marketing Cost per account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Apr 28, 2007.

?

How Much do you spend on marketing per account

1. Under $25.00

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Between $25.00 and $50.00

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Between $50.00 and $100

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Between $100 and $150

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Over $150

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has kept up with how much they spend on marketing per account per year. Not new accounts but total accounts you have left at the end of the season. So if at the end of the year you are left qith 100 accounts and you spent 10,000 on total marketing for the business you spend $100.00 per account.

I came up with about $150 per account for me. However this is due to my large commercial account base so I had less accounts.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow, that's too much for our blood. We usually end the year every year between 90 and 100 accounts. So that would be roughly $15 per account.

3. lsylvain

AYeah it's a bunch but when you count in that at my largest I only had about 20 accounts. $ wise I wasn't spending that much, about $3000 a year total With just $1000 yellow page add I was already at $50.00 per account. I did turn down just about anything residential that came my way. I only did the couple residentials of the people I really liked and anything that I thought might give me a shot at a commercial. I guess if I took the residentials I might be down in the $75 per account range. And if I spent some time doing door hangers I'm sure that number would go way down, but door hangers don't really work for commercial stuff. lol I'm getting ready to go residential only and see how I like that so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

we now are getting a lot of referrals, and just being seen in the neighborhoods week in and week out really helps. The first couple of years of business though, you won't get too many referrals. It takes time for the referrals to really kick in. so we don't spend much money on advertising. around $1500 a year.

5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Funny as heck lol Mostly we get accounts from being seen in the area or a little from word of mouth but, of course, we can always use more. The local paper had a three month special for a little less than 200 bucks. Maybe three calls total from the paper, all outside our service area or not for services we offer but word of mouth and being seen have skyrocketed. Go figure!? Right now we're in negative numbers from the paper but May is sometime a very good month for folks who wake up one morning and realize their lawn has gone nuts. Maybe the paper will pay off yet.

6. lsylvain

I wouldn't count on it. I never had good luck with the paper. The adds never would pay for themselves for me anyway. Like you said it always ends up being either someone way out of your service area or old ladies calling to ask when it would be ok for her to put her plants backoutside and junk like that.

7. lsylvain

wow it looks like I was spending more than 3 times what everyone else has been paying.

8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a regional thing like pricing, what decks work best and a host of other variables. Other small guys like me have been advertising for a number of years in the paper I tried and seem to get accounts so I'm beginning to wonder if we don't have a glut of cutters here. Come on May.......lol

9. lsylvain

Any more votes?

10. lsylvain

Are you sure you guys are accuratly keeping up with your advert expenses? My god, I just sent out $500 worth of flyers and got one call from a price shopper.