Average Number of Cuts per Season???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Isenberg94, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Isenberg94

Isenberg94 LawnSite Member

I've started my fledgling lawn care business late this summer, but am gearing up to get a good start in the Spring. I'm hoping to make a little money with Fall Clean Ups. I can see the logic in a set monthly or seasonal fee for mowing. My question is how many cuts do we average per season? I am located in Northeast Pennsylvania. I'd like to offer a monthly/seasonal price structure for next year.

Thanks for any input!
  2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in southwestern Ohio and we cut around 26-28 times a year depending on the weather.
  3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Im in Baltimore and I estimate 28 cuts from mid April to Mid October for my average accounts. I then subtract 3 cuts for heat dormancy in July and August. That makes 25 cuts X price per cut Divided by 7 payments equals monthly payment. TA DA.
  4. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

around here the grass usually needs its first cut in late March and one last cut in mid November but there are a few weeks in between that don't need it.
  5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here it is 17 - 18 per season.
  6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

about 32 weeks here...
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why only 7 payments and not over 12 months? It makes the payment less and keeps the customer paying year round and less likely to change. We start contracts at any month of the year....yes I know sometimes we are waiting for money that we already completed the mowing. Customer like to see a low monthly amount.
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably only mows 7 months out of the year.
  9. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

wow, that sucks. I guess that means you need LOTs of accounts.
  10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

What about the Amniesia victims who for get who you are after Nov 1