Average paver compaction measurement

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Jun 10, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I was wanting to know what measurement do you normally add to raise the screeds to allow for the compaction of the pavers into the sand to meet an existing walk ? In other words 2 3/8" paver + 1" sand + ? (compaction "factor")
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I bring the level of the compacted base to 3" below the top edge of the concrete, and use 3/4" iron pipe for sand screeding. After compaction the pavers end up being just right.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

1 inch of sand.

If less than thy you don't achieve proper compaction.

Pacers will comPact 1/2" into the sand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would agree that 1" in my area as well....but the for all i know this standard varies across the country. 1/4" is usually good, I find bigger pavers won't settle as much as small pavers to you need to adjust.

5. xtreem3d

thanks.... sounds like you all add about a 1/4-1/2" to the base height to get the compaction to end up level. i just saw a gazillion vids and everyone of them measured the finished height from the driveway, patio ect ...not one of them compensated for the compaction

6. landscapemike2

landscapemike2 LawnSite Member

3/4 pipe is one inch so it will work just fine

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Correct. My small enterprise factors in 1/2".

And we use steel pipes. We do not use PVC. we use steel. Not PVC.

Posted via Mobile Device

8. xtreem3d

i will be using steel also EXCEPT near one end where i will need to create a bowl effect to meet a sewer. i'll use pvc to conform to that slight slope,
    Steve

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

1/4" to 3/8" depending on type of brick. If you are using blu then don't expect more than 1/8" to 1/4". Smaller brick tends to compact in the base further.

10. xtreem3d

thanks...this is Belgard Holland stone 4"x8".

bought a couple new tools for this job. Accuscreed's megascreed which uses standard 1/2" rebar and their holders http://www.accuscreed.com/

And Pavetech's Sandscreed Pull Pro Adjustable http://www.pavetech.com/tools/sandpulladjust.shtm

On the Megascreed i recalibrated the nail for a 1" gas pipe instead of the 2" pipe it calls for