Average Productivity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you that keep track and have a general idea, post your average "mowing only" productivity and equipment.

Your input is appreciated:blob4:

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a link to Exmarks prductivity charts for groundspeed and various deck sizes ... assuming that if you have the same width deck and are travelling at "X" MPH, it really shouldn't make a difference between the various different manufacturers, the productivity should be the about the same.
    http://www.exmark.com/productivity.htm

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Even at the 80% productivity, I have found that with my 48" gear, I cant hit the productivity marks exmark gives. I have found my rates to be 80-90% of exmarks 80% figures.

4. Envy Lawn Service

I agree! I think even the 80% numbers look too high as well.

It took a little doing but I figured out the formula they use for 100% efficiency...

Width of cut x mph / 99 = 100% efficiency acres per hour

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

80% accuracy is width cut (in inches) x mph / 120 = 80% effeciency. 100% is just going at the exact speed mentioned, in a straight line for an hour. No turning at all or slowing for extra thick/wet grass, etc. Jason, 80% of 80% is 64% I think. Should be...theoretically, haven't tried it, that would be:
    inches of cut x mph / 140 = 64% actual effeciency??? think

OK I just got out the calculator, here we go:
    48" deck x 5mph / 100 = 2.4 acre/hr. @ 100% effeciency.
    48" deck x 5mph / 120 = 2 acre/hr. @ 80% effeciency
    48" deck x 5mph / 140 = 1.7 acre/hr. @ 64% effeciency

Then I figured 80% of 80% and it was indeed 64%, so the above is correct. Remember, 1 acre is 43,560 sq. ft. There you have it.
    Eric

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good reply, Eric...i always felt all the productivity charts put out by the manufacturers were overrated.

Like you mentioned, they don't take into account stops, turns, high/wet grass, terrain, etc.

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well that was the point of the 80% chart, but I have to agree ... that is usually very hard to achieve unless you are on very wide and open acres.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Well, this thread has been on here for a while and frankly...

I'M DISAPPOINTED....:(

With all this jibber jabber on here about..."oh my mower goes 10 mph!!!!"....????

Now no one wants to talk productivity??? I figured people would just be jumping to brag about how much they can cut an hour.

I have those MFG's productivity charts. They are just formulas. Formulas don't mean jack out in the field. I'm looking for "real life" averages.

Can anyone else help me out here?

:help:

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think I average roughly 1000sf per minute with 60" Lazer.

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

1 60" Great Dane Charriot
    1 50" Bunton
    Two Men
    about 7 rough acres
    including blowing and trimming (Aug.)
    1.75 hr in Aug. to 3 hrs. in May.:confused:

Those small yards kill ya. 1/2 hr. mowing 1/2 hr trimming Then one guy stands guard while the other blows the drive for 10 min.