Average service prices

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CUTNTIME, Jul 28, 2006.

CUTNTIME LawnSite Member

Whats everyone charging elswhere in the country for service work?Here in N.FLA. I'm getting 50 for an adjustment and 50 an hour plus parts.Just curious.
  2. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

70 per hr. non contract 60 with
    95 spring turn on
  3. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

We do pump repair not irrigation, but it's $69.00 to show up plus plus.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

$30 to show up plus $30 per hour plus parts. We are thinking about going to 45 per hour.
  5. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I don't really care about how much everyone else is charging but more HOW you charge...

does everyone do a service call that covers a half hour and then labor? anyone have a higher service call that covers an hour? 1/4 hour? I'm assuming everyone is rounding up

Does everyone break down parts for every wirenut, clamp, foot of pipe? Most of the time when I write a bill in the truck I include clamps, pipe, nozzles, and fittings in the cost of a head .. but I'll do both depending on the situation... any suggestions?
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We bill by the hour and usually round up while materials are billed for every wire nut, fitting, foot of Funny pipe, nozzles, etc. It's all about the mark up!
  7. We charge $60.00 service call includes 30 minutes labor.
    I do most of my charges by a set price.

Rotors $35-$65 and sprays $15- $25.
    Solenoids and Diaphragms start at $25.00 and up
    Valve replacements starts at $100.00 and up per valve.
    nozzles $5.00
    DBY's $2.50
    minimum pipe , fittings & drip charge is $10.00
    controllers $160.00 and up.
    trouble shooting and all other works is $50.00 hr plus list price on parts.

so if someone need a I-20 ,a 1812 and a PGH.

SC $60.00
    I-20 $35.00
    1812 $25.00
    PHG $65.00
    Total $185.00
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I hate busy invoices with every last little widget on its own line. I'd rather lump things together, and simplify the bill. (but I'll tally things up separately, to ensure I'm not cheating myself)

I've always charged parts at closer-to-list prices, and charged more for labor. $80 for the first half hour. I'm going to start bumping up the parts prices, though, since there will be a point where you can start to scare away customers if the labor charges keep increasing.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

At least by bumping up the materials cost you'd be reflecting the true nature of things with material prices in such a flux on most items.
  10. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

We charge a straight $50 a man hour for service repairs with a minimum of $50 to show up. Materials are marked up, and I charge for every last fitting. We use Real Green's Lawn Assistant, so it is easy. I have just about every fitting in the program, so its just a couple of clicks to come up with an invoice - even for time + material jobs.

I have another, kind of related question for you all. I'm sure that you set up a program for the controllers when a new installation is complete. In the past couple of months, we have done a bunch of new installations where the landscaper sodded as soon as we were complete. I always like to run through all of the zones after the landscapers are done, because more often than not, they'll damage something. After verifying the system, I set up a program (for sod 3 times per day). I also make it a point to do this while the homeowner is present, so I can go over everything with them & show them how to operate the controller. We also leave the manual & I tell them to go online (in our case - www.rainbird.com) if they are not sure how to operate the controller. I also tell them to call & I can walk them through making changes to the program over the phone. Inevitably, they always call & ask me to come out to change the program & then FREAK OUT when I charge them $50. At what point is our installation job complete? Would you guys charge to change a program to once per day after the sod takes root 4 weeks later? Do you charge your normal minimum rate if you are only there for a few minutes changing the programs?