average snowfall?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by greenland, Oct 23, 2000.

1. greenland

greenland LawnSite Member

how do i find out the average snowfall for pittsburgh pa. or does anyone know the answer
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

National Weather Service should be able to tell you. They have a web site, and the guys here will be able to tell you. Or... call one of the local TV stations and ask the local weather dude (or dudette), they will know right off.

I think its about 35" - average.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

Here's a site that gives average annual snowfall for a bunch of cities, as well as montly averages and tells how many years they have used to get the average.

Sorry, but I don't know how to put that in as a link, could someone who is puter smart do that, please?

PS: Pittsburgh is 43"

PPS: When I submitted the post it turned into a link after all.
  4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind that the site Alan refers to gives the average at the local airports for those cities listed. It IS a good starting point, however.... Things change as you move around, and Pittsburgh has a lot of hills and valleys - so there may be some considerable differences depending upon exactly where your market is located in the greater Pittburgh area. Example: if you're in the North Hills area, the snowfall total will be different than at the Pitt Airport. In Erie, the airport is located right next to the lake and the average snowfall there is 85".... but, if you go just three miles inland the "average" triples because of the lake effect and the 900 foot rise in elevation topography. Same thing happens in Connecticut and Mass, depending upon where the snowfall originates.

Your local TV weatherman (even though he cannot predict the weather to save his life), should know the nuances of the greater Pittsburgh area and the differences in the different areas of the area.
  5. AK Snow

AK Snow LawnSite Member

6. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

What are you using the average for?
  7. Mike_Smith

Mike_Smith LawnSite Member

Best site on the net for climate data WORLDWIDE. It has every major city in the U.S. plus tons of little towns and weather stations all over. Fantastic resource.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

For northern areas it lists precip in melted totals so I dont know how much was from snow or rain.
  9. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Since 10" of snow = 1" of rain, what good is a stat that mixes up the two?
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

My point exactly.