1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Average square footage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by j455cb, Jul 20, 2008.

1. j455cb

j455cb LawnSite Member

I would like to know what the average square footage one person can spray with a skid mount sprayer in an eight hour day.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If 200 gallon tank--and if spraying 2 gal per 1000 sqft--then 100,000 sqft before filling up. Are you spraying a big park or small home lawns? There is a lot more driving time if residential lawns. You can do about 13 lawns per tank. That should take about 4 to 6hours.
  3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There are alot of variables that determine how much a person will in an actual 8 hour day. drive time, average size of lawns, density of routes, etc. When i used to spray with a hose most times routes were fairly dense and getting 175-200 K was never a problem, solo. But with poor density and large drive times I know there were times 100k was a battle. Those are just some of the major variables besides weather, lawn problems, and customer contact all factor into an 8 hour day as well. You need to evaluate your expectations and see if they fit what you or your crew are capable of doing.
  4. j455cb

j455cb LawnSite Member

My average yard is 20,000 sq ft and most are an easy drive. I was trying to get a feel for what most spray techs could do in a day in good conditions and with minimal drive time. I have right at 1.8 million square feet to treat per application. I was trying to figure out the average mans time just to see where I stood as far as production. I was also considering getting a z-spray.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Everybody will have different answers. Heck, I have different answers on different days.

But on a good day with a tight route, I run 1.33g/M metered out at just over 2gpm. I am in and out of a lawn in about 8-10 minutes. When my route is dense I can nail 5 lawns per hour until I run dry (which is around 30-35 lawns).
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

small lawns postage stamp i can spray quicker than getting out the spreader