Lawn Care Forum banner

average top dressing and overseeding price

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  phasthound 
#1 ·
can anyone offer an average price they charge for top-dressing with compost and over-seeding a lawn...perhaps an average square foot price or per 1000 sq. ft.

#2 ·
They will all be different. Falls right back to YOU knowing YOUR numbers.

Ask yourself these simply questions.
What does the seed cost you? You need to know what it costs.
What does the compost cost you? You need to know what it costs.
How long will it take you? You need to know what your hourly rate is.
Your hourly rate will cover your cost of doing business as well as your profit if you have all your ducks in a row.

Add all these up and you have a price.

#4 ·
I know all of these...I'm trying to figure if my pricing is out of whack with the industry....to high or to low, I'm just trying to gauge it
-Thanks for the reply
You need to ask locally. What one pays 500 miles away isn't going to do you any good. Straight up, you need to check around local and see what the market will bare. It's doesn't matter if you're above or below the national average. Make some calls to other local LCO's and see what they have to say. I actually network with a few in my area.

#5 ·
You can always add up all your costs and make sure you are going to give them the best lawn possible and estimate your time and labor costs then pick a number per hour you think you should make doing that.......there's your answer. How much are you worth? If you are going to give a mediocre product then don't pay yourself that much. If you are going to give the best product available to your client and he knows and wants it.....charge accordingly.

#7 ·
And what is the purpose of the compost? Is it supposed to cover the seed and thereby allow it to germinate? If so, wouldn't a slit seeder be the tool of choice?

Compost is low in fertility. If you want to add organic fert--then Milorganite would be the product of choice.

#8 ·
And what is the purpose of the compost? Is it supposed to cover the seed and thereby allow it to germinate? If so, wouldn't a slit seeder be the tool of choice?

Compost is low in fertility. If you want to add organic fert--then Milorganite would be the product of choice.
Compost isn't used for NPK and isn't usually applied heavily enough to cover seed, but as a soil ammendment that is used for the purpose of improving soil structure, drainage/retention capabilities and CE site for fertility...

Compost is a definitive understanding of soils, which all LCOs should be able to understand at leat something about soils, so they could picture in their minds what they are doing to the plants with each action they take...

Actually compost is high in 'fertility' even though is 'low' in NPK... Does that even make sense to the typical LCO??? :)

#10 ·
Compost can burn seed this time of year if used to heavily. I get great results with seed, Milorganite and water!
Well, this is the worst time of year to be seeding. :)
I'm not sure if properly finished compost will burn seeds or not, never happened to me or my clients, but none of us would seed now.

Some purposes to use compost are to increase soil biology that will aid in nutrient cycling, improve soil structure, reduce drought stress, improve disease resistance and other stuff (scientific term).

Biosolids will help, as will other methods and products that work with the soil biology. Good seed choices, slice seeding, proper irrigation and nutrient management are all parts of the puzzle for successful lawn care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.