1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Avg price for lawns this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know all areas are different, im in central NJ.

It seems ive picked up a lot more customers this year, calls more or less. Last year i got very few calls though.

Ive been told by numerous people that the going rate for 1/4 acres was $30~. Ive priced mine out like this and im thinking im cheaper and yet im not lol.

I also had a lawn that was $60 last year for 1.5 acres, mostly ALL OPEN front and back yards, i used my walk behind on it last season and it took me well over an hour. I should be able to do it within 40 minutes all said and done now with the 61" ZTR but still i felt it was closer to a $70 lawn.

This year some guys going around for $48 to cut these same lawns?

I had 2 customers in this one smaller development with 1-2 acre lawns and both said the same thing. My $50 lawn i now cut for $48 to match, jerk customers but always pay bill, and $50 for my $60 lawn last year... they like my service and $2 to keep me is worth it to them apparently.

So 1/4 acre is $30-35, 1/2 acre is ? 3/4 acre is ? 1 acre is ? and 1+ acre is $50? WTF?

Seems to me after the nearly $8k for my 61" ZTR its going to make it easier for my jobs but im not making any MORE money on 1.5 acre lawns using 8k equipment vs 1/4 acre lawns and 2k equipment? see the problem?

This area has so many lawn companies seeming to move in from all over. Even full out 100% landscape companies are having mexican descent non-speaking crews of 3-5 come out with huge trucks and trailers to do lawns dirt cheap. I quoted one guy $60 last year for a 1+ acre lawn, mostly open and he said well the other place, named their name and all are doing them for $30? $30, it would take me 45 minutes to do this lawn by myself lol.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That is the difference between providing service and selling labor. Welcome to America.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah im guessing some companies just looking to keep full crews or multiple crews busy more than make MORE profit per time spent i guess.
  4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

.005 X sq ft = $
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

lol that comes out to $225 or something for ONE acre, 43,300 or something for one acre. or do you mean .0005?
  6. mow2nd

That's an old formula guys used to use back in the 70's. My dad has been doing this since the late 60's. Of course nobody uses that formula anymore. It was mainly used for commercial. He used to do tons of industrial parks in our area, and when measuring the sq ft he would X by .005. At one point he had told me you could get 1 cent per sq ft, but not anymore. You lucky to get .005 even .0025.
  7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I am in a similar situation right now with all my properties. I am dirt cheap compared to the guys on here and I am average priced for around here yet I am losing customers to guys who are bidding way low. A guy comes over here from 50 miles away to do 2 larger commercial and 1 small comercial as well as a handfull of residentials. He lowballed me again on a hotel that has 3.2 acres of lawn area. He was at $150 per cut the last 2 years and this year he is at $100. I can't figure it out. I do know that he does not have work comp insurance on his people. This business is getting worse every year. I am starting back up in the sewer and drain business again, it is kind of crappy work but it pays well and we used to have the market cornered before my brother sold the business. So I think I will do it again.
  8. That's per season isn't it? 'Cause a penny per sq. ft. would be $435 per acre. At 25 cuts per season that'd be $17 and change per acre cut.
    That's about what I remember from the '70s for schools, parks and other bull crap bid work nobody really wants anyway.

I'm charging $50 per acre mowed for multiple acre lawns. That's complete care, beds, chems and all. I'll charge less if I don't have any hand work etc.
    Not much of a volume discount is there?
    You have to be careful not to give away the advantage of owning a big mower playing that price cutter game. You'll end up loosing money.

If some plant manager or purchasing agent gets to whining about my price I lead with;
    "I won't screw anything up and get you fired. I won't get you audited, investigated, fined or sued. I collect and pay my taxes, I'm licensed, insured and experienced."
    Then they're a little more interested in what I have to say about why my price is better.
  9. mow2nd

.005 X 5,000 sq ft = $25.00 You make more money on smaller yds. I stick to the small ones. How come u can get $25-35 for 5-7,000 sq ft yds ??? But only $50 for an acre. How long is it taking u guys to mow an acre? I can mow a yd in 10-15 min with a helper and make an avg of $30. 3 an hour usually sometime 4 if we get em on the same street. Guess everybody is different