1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Avoid 25hp Kohler engines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I did a search and saw a lot of bad stuff about some of the 25's. Is this an engine to avoid altogether? Or is their a way to tell if it is one of the "bad" ones?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

At one time Kohler was having trouble with head gaskets on the 25 but that was fixed years ago. I own a 25 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I've got one on a 72" and it's never given me a single problem.

They did have a bad rap a couple years ago.

I'm sure there are thousands of them out there that are running fine every day, I would definately buy another one.
  4. LP

LP LawnSite Member

One of my dealers that I buy most of my equipt. from told me just 2 day's ago to steer away from this engine, take it for what it's worth!
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

they had a flaw at one time. but it better be fixed cause i see more 25 kohlers on ztrs than any other motor.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The Kwasaki engines are probably more $$$$$$

I'd say the same thing if I was a dealer and could make more money selling something else.

I've got 4 Kohlers........25, 22, 18, 6

The 22 has had a blown head gasket.......fixed under warranty and running in 1/2 a day.........never had another problem, that was 2 years ago.

The 18 had a blown head gasket too.......fixed and running in half a day.....it wasn't in warranty though. Been running strong ever since and that was 3 years ago.

The 25 as mentioned has never given me any problems.

The 6 HP is on my Trac-Vac unit. As long as I keep the filter clean it runs like a champ. Pull it once and she comes to life. Other than a dirty carb (my fault) it has never given me an ounce of trouble.

Ya........I like Kohlers. If I can have this kind of success with engines then I see no reason to change.........I wish everything was as dependable as they are.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm gonna lift my leg on this thread that is spreading sunshine on the 25.

There have been some good ones made, many bad. I had a bad and the company knew it. The model year was 1998 and if you find a deal on a 97, 98 or 99 you may be in for a surprise. There are many service bulletins out on these. Another problem was they worked well on some mowers and not others. It was not made for my Walker. Coils at the bottom of the motor were a pain to service, the head gasket problem was a major problem for these motors. I had a scored cylinder at 100 hours. Mfg. problem. My engine was junk, service time from Kohler (40 miles from me) SUCKED.
    Now Walker has dropped the 25. I am not bashing Kohler altogether because I bought a 26EFI that has been the best motor I ever owned. I also have a Kohler 15hp 1 lunger that is a beast. I personally will NEVER buy a 25HP Kohler again and will tell others to be careful.

8. Richard is right . Kohler up to about 4 years ago had head gaskets problems. Since then they have fixed them. I have 2 kohler 25 and they are the sweetest engine I know of. But I read somewhere that kohler was stopping production of the 25 and retooling there whole line for the 27
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

From what I hear, the 25 is all fixed now. They did several upgrades to components to fix their problems. I don't think I would let the problems of the past sway me on a new one. Although, if a kawi was avaliable I would take it first.;)
  10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive got a 25 kohler on a Z-master its a 98 purchased new and have never had any problems with any of my kohlers...Kohler will be my next engine also, In 98 they did the upgrades on them....Marks Mowing Service