1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Avoid cutting pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by windtran, May 8, 2007.

1. windtran

windtran LawnSite Member

I'm starting small patio/walkway project at my house soon. I don't like cutting pavers so I'm wondering if I can make pavers with different cut shapes myself using concrete mixed with matching color. I'm thinking about making a paver mold then partition the mold to the desired shape then pour concrete in.

What you you think?
  2. mowingguy

mowingguy Guest

I think you are not going to like the results. If you have to rent a wet saw for a few days do it. I can not imagine trying to mold a paver and having the results pleasant. Way too much effort. -SL
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Very bad idea!
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Pick a pattern and a width that will keep you from having to cut pavers or cut a lot of them.

A running bond pattern with a soldier course is pretty easy.
    any basket weave pattern will mean little cutting..

if you have very little cutting, just buy yourself a concrete blade or an abrsive disc for your Circ saw..no renting...
  5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Be as exact as possible in your plan and like was said above, pick your pavers carefully. I did a 500sf patio with 12" village square pavers for the field and brickstone pavers for the border (both EP Henry)- 43 cuts total. That installation flew!

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

it would give your patio a custom look if you could get the rounded edges of the paver to come out nice in your mold, but i would think that you would have a tough time matching up the colors excately
  7. windtran

windtran LawnSite Member

I'm thinking the rounded edges can be made with a bendable medal/plastic partitioner inserted inside the mold.

My pavers color is called 'bondfire blend' so the color ranges from dark gray to teracotta so the molded pieces may not be noticable. Maybe the texture will be different and more noticable overtime.

I'm going to buy some quikcrete to try out. :)
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Please, Please, Please post a pic when you are done! I gotta see this one!:hammerhead: :dizzy:

9. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait....I can't possibly let this go. Did I seriously just read what I thought I did?

It must be the spring Chris. I'm going to take some tylenol and go get some sleep. Then when I wake up I'll check this thread again.

Word to the wise, If you put your head in the block splitter stop pumping the handle before it goes bang.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Damn, do I feel like a fool.

I hate cutting pavers too, but do you think I could pull my head out of my azz and come up with the idea to start manufacturing my own pavers!?! No, I just keep trying to think of easier and better ways to cut pavers. I feel like such an idiot.

You know what?.... I hate cutting wall block too. I'll have to come up with some molds for those too.

For Sale:

(2) Wacker cut off saws
    (1) MK wet saw
    (1) Block Shear block splitter
    Also, several hammers and chisels

Make an offer!