1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just brainstorming, but tell me what you guys think. I'm getting into more parking lot sweeping (well, blowing) and have been doing quite a bit of research on equipment. (I'm eventually going to own a nice lot truck) My idea was this; For the ZTR's with vac setups, i.e. Peco, Ultravac, Turf Specialty Products, Trac Vac, etc., having a set of brushes that bolt up to the spindles that could push debris torward the vac unit. The left brush could even be a little wider to stick out underneath th outside edge of the deck for curbs. This could be run at approx. 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and at full ground speed. Let's think about it, our ZTR's could make Awesome sweepers. Things that make you go hmmmmm. Come on, a little input would be nice here!

[Edited by Runner on 10-28-2000 at 02:58 AM]
  2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

That would be blasting alot of sand through your vac. I think it would resemble sand blasting steel. How long are the impellors going to hold up that way is my question?
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

As you probably know one of the benefits
    of having lot vacuumed is deminished
    sand and dirt on the parking lot.
    Saves floors and carpets.On coastal
    areas sand is a lot worse.
    Ioperated a service in early 80s in
    Charlotte.I really learned to hate
    the graveyard shift as i was working
    days also.If you have help it would be
    better, but if a fellas got a drinking problem
    or poor work ethics he can do some real
    damage fast.THIS is when i learned how
    hard it is to find good help.At least
    for me. Good luck with your service.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think you will have a dusty mess if its not wet first.Then if you have plastic hoses,especially the flex hoses common on most baggers,they will be quickly sandblasted right thru-probably within 20 minutes to a 1/2 hr.These hoses arent cheap either.If you could get steel chutes and prewet the sand or come after arain,it might work.That can would have to be emptied when its only 1/4 full since it weighs about 10x as much as grass.The impeller would be worn some,but you would be able to keep an eye on it as you went,and stop if it showed wear.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree, too much dust and dirt. We have truck with boxes on them that are already picking up debris out of parking lots.They have small cube boxes on them. You see them out their from 1 am on. Like a 3rd shift job. I don't know if they are vac stuff up or have brushes that pull the bottles paper etc up into the bin. But I havent seen any dust in the process.
  6. I sub out all our parking lot sweeping when required. The universial comment I have heard from these operators is the amount of maintenance and repair that is required. One guy says no matter the brand, these machines are down for repair and maintenance 40% to 50% of the time.

I just write the subs a check every month and let them deal wiht it.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Why not buy the sweeper I have, you could haul it there on an equipment trailer, sweep, empty in their trash bin, load up and go. got a brand new engine, runs on propane, new main brush.......ready to go with a liiiiiiittttttttllle work!

8. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Wait a minute. I know where there is a 44" Toro walk behind that is for sale and I am almost sure the owner will modify it for sweeping. What do you think Stone???
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL!!! I think he's using it right now to mulch! :)