Awful Day, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

:cry: Today really sucked! All of a sudden this new customer who was very happy last week has somehow transformed into a huge PITA and is just the opposite this week. First she thinks that a whole bunch of brush growing against the back of her prop. should be part of the weekly service (she wants to drop my service because of this) and expects that any of her needs should be taken care of before anyone elses. I tried to talk to her today but basically gave me the cold shoulder and said that she would talk to her husband (yeah right). What the worst part is is that i have to see her twice a day anyway because my mom babysits her kid! What should i do, should i try to make ammends by just hacking down the brush with the trimmer and keeping up with it or just let her go? Sorry this is so long and thanks for any advice!

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Never work for friends or family.

3. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

EXACTLY!

It's one customer. Not even a decent one. Ditch here, put up some flyers, and you're back in business! :cool:

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Do not do the brush unless she wants to pay for it! If you do, this will become a regular for her to ask for free stuff all the time. Been there and done that. Im making some different financial arrangements this week and Ive got 2 similar to this I can hardly wait to dump them! Go ahead and make this one disappear before she becomes a problem. Check to see if she has ever lived in my area also :D sounds like one of mine.

5. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

If it's something that wasn't included in the original price, determine how much more it would cost to include it and let her know. I doubt it has to be done every week but determine on average how much more time it takes per week. If she doesn't like your pricing, she can have someone else do it. No problem. "Sorry for any misunderstanding"
    No need to be hostile about it, especially if you will be seeing her on an ongoing basis. :)

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might want to be careful, I assume you mother is charging for babysitting?

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the friends and family thing. She went from a good customer to a real pita in one day flat! Ed, of course my mom does charge but doesn't get much at all. She complains a lot because i can make more than her in one day than she can make in a whole week, it really sucks that she doesn't charge very much. Well, this is a lawn forum not a babysitting forum. Thanks guys for your responses, and if she continues to think the way she has then she is gone (in a nice way though!). Thanks Again!

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good Luck :waving:

10. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Maybe we should tell your mom what to charge and how to handle her as well :D