awfull screeching form B&S engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, so my elderly neighbor has this automatic murray lawn tractor with an 18HP Briggs and stratton V-twin engine. I has been out of commission for a few weeks and her grass has gotten high. i saw her stuggling with her self proppeled snapper high vac on her 1/2 acre lawn, so i go over with my machine to see if i can lend a hand, she says "that's ok, i need the exercise anyway", i got in a conversation about her tractor and asked if i could take a look at it, so she went over what was wrong and i took off some protective coverings from the motor and fired it up. well it didn't start, it just screeched real loud, the cooling fins moved maybe 1/2 a turn, to me it sounds like the starter is damaged, i trid turning the top of the engine by hand, and it turned, but sounded like it was rusty. this machine is only a few years ols and stored in a garrage.

what do you guys think, as i hate to see her mow her entire yard with a 21" and she has too much pride to take my help in mowing.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

try a know good battery on it. could be the starter drive is continually engaged and has went bad. i'm going to need some more info.

3. mike lane lawn care

what other info do you want/need? i can probably get it for you.

the battery is fine,i think, but i will try sometime this week using a booster pack.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, Model and type numbers off the engine would help. How long has this unit been sitting since it was last used ?

5. mike lane lawn care

i'll try and get the numbers, but i looked and the the engine numbers were scratched to a point where it was hard to read. it has been sitting for about a month, the starter is spinning, but i think that the gear is stripped or stuck. hard to get at in this engine, kind of a pain in the ass.

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Is there even a chance a problem exists, perhaps from a shade tree mechanic, with the operator presence lock-out (term?).
    It sounds like the PTO may be engaged, and the noise is the blade brake.

7. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

This sounds like the gear on the starter bit the dust. Pull the plastic cover off from the top of the starter and try and crank it. What you will probably see is that the starter gear is spinning against the flywheel, making some god-awful noise.

If this happens, I'd remove the starter and carry it to a small engine shop. They will be able to either replace the gear/spring assembly or sell you the kit to do it yourself.

8. mike lane lawn care

ok thanks, i'll take a closer look at it today, i am going to move it into my driveway for a couple of days to do some spare time work on it. i'll give her the parts she needs and she can order them from the place she bought the mower and i'll install them. i'm thinking the starter gear is just stripped.