Awkward stick controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was just starting up my tiger cub to just kinda get its juices flowing for the season, and when i was driving, i noticed that the left reverse is way easier to move backwards than all of the other controls. And the tire spins.....FAST. I called my dealer and he says that i need to close the "toeing Valve" I have no idea what this is or if i have the spelling right. i looked it up in the manual and couldnt find anything, does anyone know what my problem is, thanks.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what you are trying to say.....we can't even come close to spinning the wheel in reverse on our new Scag. The guestion is does the machine track straight in forward with the levers both pushed forward the same amount? First be sure all the hydralic levers(2) need to be greased and operating freely.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

A mechanic I'm not, but I'm thinking he meant the "towing" valve, which releases the pressure so it is easier to move a non-running mower.

4. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I am not sure if the Tiger cub has these but if it is at least 1 year old it probably is a dampner.You would have 1 on each lever linkage,connecting to each hydro pump.They look like a little car or truck shock.I have to replace mine every year and is one of the easiest repairs to do.But I could be wrong:rolleyes:

5. jeffnovi306

jeffnovi306 LawnSite Member

I think he means the vavle that is on the hydro pump. You can loosen it 1 turn or so to enable easier pushing while not running. Then it will need to be tightened up again before running the hydro. It is about a 3/8 size bolt that looks like a pipe plug. Hope this helps

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

If he means the dump valve on a cub i believe they are under the seat, at least mine are i think , one on each pump , have never replaced the dampers on the sticks but i do spray them with wd -40 several times a year. Still sounds like a dump valve got open somehow, maybe vibrated open

7. Wayne Landscaping

Thanks guys, the tracking is not a problem, its just easier to move, like my friends laser xs, ill look at it again and look for the valse, but i cant tell if its with the "shock" or the valse bolt, i dunno, i might hafta take it in.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, he is talking about the release valves/bypass valves on the pumps that you have to turn to release the hydro pressure so you can tow or push the mower.

I doubt this is your problem. But check them anyways.

Sounds like whatever dampens your reverse stick movement is broken, unhooked, lost or worn out. (reverse detent springs/dampener shocks)

Will this stick return itself to neutral just like the other stick if you let go of it while in reverse?

9. Wayne Landscaping

Yeah, i mean it comes back to neutral, its just wierd cause its really easy

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually the right side control on the Cubs are a little stiffer in reverse. And yes you can spin the tires on the cub and the Turf Tiger 29hp EFI