axle wear

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rixtag, Apr 17, 2002.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I have an older 36 metro and during the winter I pull all the bearings ofF and check them for wear, damage etc.
    I noticed that on the bottom of the drive axle shaft there are grooves from the bearings. Is this a normal thing and if so how will I know when it is time to replace it?

Keep up the good work :D

Go eXmark:)

Thanks,

Rick

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rick,

It really depends upon how old your machine is. The older Metros has a caged roller bearing and the key to preventing wear with those was to grease often and in quantity. With the ball bearing/flange bearing wheels that we've been using for the past several years they still like grease but nothing like the older models.

The wear can be from several things. First, double check the shims and make sure the wheel isn't "walking" in and out on the shaft. Too much endplay could cause grooves and wear. Second make sure the bearings have plenty of grease. The bearing itself should spin in the wheel and not on the shaft. Look for signs that the bearing has been spinning on the shaft. If it has, that could indicate a bad bearing, lack of grease or some type of foreign particle has caused the bearing to seize and not spin properly in the wheel.

Check those items and then give me a call at 800-667-5296 and let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry