1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Sep 18, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

My 16' dump is rated at 12,000 GW and my 10' dump at 10,000 GW.

16' weighs 3,800 lbs
    10' weighs about 2,500lbs

So, I can haul about the same thing in either one which is sad. The 16' I would expect to be 14-16,000 GW.

Is it possible to change out the axles to bump up the GW? I'm pretty sure it is how it is and nothing I can do about it but thought I would through it out there.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dexter manufactures axles up to 22.5k each, you could have two 8000lb axles installed under it they would probably run 1k each not sure what a new trailer with 8k axles costs whether replacement is worthwhile or not. Just because your axles can handle 16k doesnt mean your hydraulics or truck could.
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

Truck not a problem. Hydro I have not checked into.......none of this will probably happen, just satisfying my curiosity if there is a way to actually increase the GW.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I second what LawnManiac883 said ... sure you can swap out the axles, however, it doesn't mean that your truck can handle the increased load !!
  5. tthomass

from N. VA

Truck will have no problem with the load. Its a 25,500GVW dump truck, not a Toyota.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It might pay to sell the one you have and upgrade. I went down to all pro trailers in Jacksonville Florida last december and picked up a 7x14 13,200lb twin ram dump for an even $5000. Well worth the trip.

Good luck.
  7. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

It might be functional but it may not be a legal increase in GVWR. Just a thought.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Have to agree. Whatever the GWR of the trailer was when you bought it, that's what it is on the title. Same way you can put air bags under your one ton pickup but the tag on the door sill still reads the same, and that's what the cops will write on the ticket. If it means a lot to you, I would just trade up.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like sage advice ... it makes sense to me !!