AYP 20hp Koehler 46 deck..won't pull up hill.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joe O, May 6, 2004.

1. Joe O

Joe O LawnSite Member

Riding tractor is 5 years old..never had any problems pulling the hill I cut. I've changed the drive belt 2 times. OE belt. It has a hydro Transaxle. I have to run the speed lever all the way up to get it to pull at all..after several times up the hill it won't pull at all. What's up?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I can tell you without a doubt that it is the transaxle. I had the same exact thing happen to me a few years ago. Going down the hill with the back tires sliding, assuming this happens occasionally, it is very hard on the transaxle. Mine had to be replaced. Luckily it was under warranty. At the time, my dealer told me that Hydrogear had put out some bad transaxles, to the point that some new ones were bad right out of the box. If it was made by Hydrogear you might have some leverage with them.
  3. Joe O

Joe O LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info..I found the bleed tube, oil was leaking from around the plastic plug. It was loose..I refilled with gear oil. It is better now, but not like new. I mayl have to replace it or rebuild it soon.