azalea bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ffemt1271, Oct 20, 2003.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i recently bought a house with some HUGE azaleas. what time of year should i trim them back, and how far do i trim then back.(probable been 10 years since they have been trimmed)

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Trim them as soon as the drop their flowers. I have pruned azaleas pretty hard and they cam e back, but will look ugly for a while.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ditto on that.

If you want to you can actually cut them back to just below your knee to rejuvenate them so they come back more compact and dense.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

since they lose their flowers late spring / early summer ?

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally i would not. They are uptaking energy for the winter months now and trying to set buds for this spring. The best time is the few weeks after they bloom to prune back so they can produce new shoots before the winter and attempt to set a few flower buds for the folowing year.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi FFEMT,

Here is a quote from this site.

"TRIMMING AZALEAS

Q: Our azaleas are more than 5 feet tall, and we would like to cut them back to a more manageable size. When is the best time to trim them and how?

A: Azaleas can be trimmed at about any time of the year. Certainly extra-long shoots and declining portions can be removed as needed. You might avoid major pruning in late fall and early winter so the growth won't be damaged by cold.

Because most gardeners don't want to miss the spring blooms, they wait until at least April but before the end of June to trim. Delaying the trimming much later would remove the buds for next year that form during late summer and fall."

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks to all that replied.