Azelea's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sennrat, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sennrat

sennrat LawnSite Member

I meet with a prospect today whose property had a hedge row of rhododendrons that where all legged out because of the full mature trees(mostly tulip poplars) is there anything I could do to get these shrubs looking better. The home owner was thinking about ripping out all the shrubs. He also had very old Azaleas's that need some attention because over the last three yrs they have not bloomed.The house is located outside of Philadelphia Pa. All of his other shrubs were in great shape .

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Rhodies and Azales can be and should be pruned atleast every other year to promote new growth and overall health. Prune the azaleas hard after they bloom. I have pruned Delawares and Puks to 1/3 of their pre-bloom stage with great results. Also best to fert them at this time (after they are pruned).

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think your supposed to trim/prune them just after they bloom, if you wait too laong they may not bloom the next year. when i bought my house i had some that was overgrown, i cut them back 1/2 way, they did not bloom that year but are fine now and have bushed back out.:usflag: