[B][/B]Warranty, Distance, Price.. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by webdrifter, Mar 9, 2007.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning to pick up a Hustler Super Z mower, but I'm still trying to figure out the best route to take.

Option #1.... I can drive 50 miles and get a used 2005 model 60" 27 hp Kohler with 29 hours on it for $7000. I know the owner, and the mower looks new. This mower would still be under original warranty till August of this year.

Option #2... I can drive 275 miles and get a new 2006 Super Z 52" 27 hp Kohler with 1 hour on it, with the full two year warranty for $6900 cash, or a new 2005 identical to my friends 60" 27 hp with full two year warranty for $7300 cash.

I'm only starting out with my own property and a couple of my neighbors so I'll only be putting maybe 100 to 150 hours a year on it for the first couple of years. Is the extra year warranty on the new mowers worth driving an extra 450 miles round trip, considering the amount of hours I'll be using it?

Your thoughts please...

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO your friends mower is 2 years old and despite the fact that it has lower hours...it's 2 years old! These mower companies are constantly upgrading their machines making them better and smoother and more reliable. For the extra couple hundred bucks and the mileage I would go for the new one with a full warranty. Besides, I've had mowers for 20 hrs and something major went wrong. Warranty is king!

Chris