B.C. wants to import workers from the Phillipines

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was reading in the Province paper and on the news employers want the B.C. gov't to import people from the Phillipines to fill jobs. Supposidy employers keep screaming labour shortage.

What I really laughed about is the BC Trucking Association says they need 5000 people annually for trucking jobs so they want to import more immigrants to fill these jobs.

Problem 1 the reason why there is a shortage in the trucking industry especially long haul is there is no money in it. A driver gets paid very poor wages thats if you get paid. There are owner operators out there are barely making a profit because of fuel costs etc. Make trucking a better paying career maybe the drivers that are not driving will go back to driving.

Now with the other low paying jobs nobody wants is because you can't afford to live off of a 8 dollar per hour job. You live in Vancouver in some rat infested basement suite for 600-800 a month. Around my area you can't even find a place to rent under 800 a month. People are trying to rent 20' travel trailers for 800 a month.

Back to the trucking maybe if it was profitable and you actually get paid a decent wage people might do the job.

I think employers want B.C. to import workers from overseas to drive the wages down. I guess it is the same problem as the USA with mexican workers.

These people wanting to import thousands of people to B.C. keep saying baby boomers retiring. I know lots of baby boomers that are 65 they don't want to retire some of them said they will work till they croak. They like the job they are doing and they can't live off a pension.

Why in the h*ll does B.C. want to import workers when there are thousands of forestry workers getting laid off and no work. Especially people from overseas where the gov't will have to support them :rolleyes:

Then the managers at my employer said there will be more spending cuts so it looks like we will have a even smaller budget to work with. I can see our extra help budget will be cut back. We asked for a new phone last year and got a second hand phone from another dept :(

Yup importing people from other countries to work in B.C. is going to cure problems :confused:

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds right on to me, with the Mexicans they were only available to work 8 months of the year (at least here) and the East Indian people can't do it because they are too damn busy forging false documentation and passports to get all their "Uncles", "sons", "fathers", "cousins" and "brothers" to live here, so the next link on the economic cheap labor force is the Philippines.

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I work at a large air cargo company that ships all over the world. If you go there at night on 3rd. shift the workers make you think your in a complete different country. They want to tell you how secure airports have become. That is the biggest joke in the world I can tell you. Im around the DC-8,DC-9 and 767 planes every day. Some of the people they hire I would be affraid to touch. Several years ago they got in trouble for illegals.

4. Fieldman12

Around here now most jobs are starting out at $9.00 an hour. What are you going to do at that pay. I know people I work with that have college degrees and I make more than them. They tell you to go to college but what they fail to tell you is even though you go does not guarantee you a good salary. I made more money seven years ago. My pay seems to be going down instead of up not to mention the rising prices.

5. Gravel Rat

There is lots of low paying jobs out there but with our cost of living so high if you don't make minimum 15 dollars per hour you will have a tough time paying rent.

Look at Fort McMurray Alberta people at McDonalds are making 20 bucks per hour. You can pretty well consider minimum wage up there 20 dollars per hour.

The wages I make at my gov't job are not that great it is a steady 2000 a month and that is all what is good about it. If they paid me my wage without deductions I would be making 3300 a month :laugh:

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Phillipinos are hard workers in general. The climate may be a bit of an issue for them. I wish I had a dime back for every dollar I spent in their country. I could fund my new 440.:weightlifter:

7. Gravel Rat

I don't think it is a good idea to import people to take jobs away from people that are citizens of B.C.

Get employers to pay a decent wage it may attract the thousands of people that flocked to Alberta for work back to B.C.

8. Fieldman12

Allot of these people are good workers that is no doubt. The thing is they dont plan on staying at that dead in job that people claim they are coming here to take. They look to move up the ladder like everyone else. That is fine I guess but they should become legal US citizens the correct way.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

GravelRat.... employees who don't mind missing a lunch, don't whine, and have a can do attitude are certainly the minority in the US and Canada....so importing folks who aren't whiners should be expected. "We" have become soft and complacent with an attitude of entitlement.......it is about time this bubble of illusion is popped.

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Yep, this is part of the recession problem. When the employers pay very little, the employees have very little to spend. The US has taken everything they can to be made overseas. If we can not export the work, then we import some bums that will work for scab wages. And nobody can figure out whats wrong with the economy? Pay a living wage and the workers will spend money.