1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

B-K Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by SamIV, Apr 25, 2007.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you have any experience with the Nite Star II or Delta Star in brass. I have a high-end install coming up an need something just to tweak it a little. They will be used for up and down lights as well as a few mounted on a twelve inch riser. Was going to use the Kichler 15384 in brass but would like to step it up a notch from there. Doug you already told me you like them, but you can still chime in.

Accent Outdoor Lighting.
  2. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

F/X MU , SI,uplight, TC downlight NICE!!!!
  3. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply bumper. I am familiar with FX and they do make a good middle of the road aluminum fixture. I am looking for a higher end brass, copper or bronze fixture.

Accent Outdoor Lighting
  4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What about Unique, Coppermoon, or lightcraft (just recently rec'vd some literature on)?
  5. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think many guys on here are that familiar with BK to be honest with you. Its an architectural type lighting line. You hit the nail on the head when you stated FX, Unique, etc were middle of the road lighting line. Very good lines but not BK, HK, Lumiere, etc...

There are lines out there that are just exceptional products that 99% of the lighting community will never use. I have jobs that call for such products in the Carribean and when I suggest a product like BK they never ask about the quality of that light. The engineers and architects know!!!

BK is not a Kichler, Hadco, FX, Nightscaping, or Unique...its is definitely a step above. And I sell all of those lines and proud to do so but when you are looking for something special.

Jan Moyer designed and spec'd job not too far from my shop a few years ago. 4200 mr16 fixtures on a residential job and 700 mr16 well lights. Do you think she spec'd Hadco or Kichler? No way Lumiere, HK, and Kim, three exception arch products even though it was a residential job.
  6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Doug, don't forget Hunza. When you are talking top of the line, Hunza has to be at the top of the list.
  7. NiteTymeIlluminations

Hunza, hydrel, etc...I deal with all these brands, they are very hard to sell and thats why you don't hear alot about them unless you run in the right circles...
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A friend turned me on to a company called Aurora Lighting www.auroralight.com . Their stainless trident stake is exactly what Jan Moyer says (at a seminar last year) she specifies for ALL ground mounted fixtures these days.
  9. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

The NS lens is flush with the end of the fixture and will cause glare unless the fixture cannot be seen from any viewing angles.

The DS are both excellent fixtures in terms of glare control with the 1" shroud or the 45 degree longer shroud.

Both of these fixtures are machined and the socket is sealed into a machined recess. With that being said if you need to replace the socket down the road you must break the socket and clean out the well to prepare for a replacement. The job must be in a harsh enviroment since you are specing brass, so you should consider this if it is a large install. While I think BK makes some excellent products: core drill series, recessed series, and they make some excellent glare free fixtures. If glare can be controlled with the 15384 you can provide and maintain a better fixture IMHO for alot less money and spend that budget on something else in the design.

If your bent using a machined fixture, I would look at HK, BK, Kim and in that order. Yes I didn't list Lumiere due to poor quality in the fixtures that I have recieved over the years even though I think it is a excellent design
  10. NiteTymeIlluminations

Well put...Lumiere went down hill the day Cooper bought them. They stillhave some products a few oher guys aren't making that I need every once in a while. Recently I haven't had any quality issues though.