[B]Lawn Renovation With Pics[/B]

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SpruceLandscape, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi everyone. Well, its that time of year in Ohio to start dethatching and overseeding. My neighbor and I have a decent amount of thatch build up, and seeing that I didn't get to overseed my lawn since it was put in in 2003, along with some damage that was done by the sprinkler company the last time they came out we figured we would get together and split some costs and do both at the same time. I did not put my own lawn in, it was done already when we moved in, so I'm not exactly sure what that particular companies proceedure was, I just know it was hydroseeded. I have a lot of pretty sparse areas where you can actually see moss growing on the ground in the front lawn, along with Potty spots from the dogs in the back lol. So, here are a few pics of what we are starting with just after I scalped the lawn down to a hair below 2". In some of the pics of the back yard you can see how tall the original grass was where the hill meets our backyards and some of the damaged areas in the front tree lawns from snowplows etc. this past winter. I'll keep everything updated as we move along with new pics.

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

2. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

Here's more of the same

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

3. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

4. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

And finally some more:hammerhead:

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010030.jpg

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I am a bit confused as to why you are going to dethatch that lawn??? If thatch is a problem, you will remove more thatch aerating it verses dethatching. If it's a real problem, double aerate, overseed, drag and starter fert. You have an irrigation system, so you can run seeding cycles (frequent light apps to keep the seed wet) and get some nice germination. come back in a couple of weeks just in time to give the seed some last nutrients for the year and you should be good to go.

6. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

reason we are dethatching rather than aeration is because we live within just a few miles of lake erie. Anyone around here knows that there is no such thing as dirt, just clay and lots of it. I have an irrigation system, so my yard would probably plug just fine as long as it was moist, but my neighbor doesn't which puts him more at the mercy of the weather as to when we would be able to pull good plugs. I know this because I aerated mine last year and had very little success when the ground was hard (that was before the irrigation guy fixed my sprinklers). We will be starting things this morning, so I'll try and post some pics this evening if I get around to it. Thanks, C.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Just have him water heavily the day before. They sell sprinklers up there don't they?

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Nine out of ten times de-thatching does a lot more damage than good. Especially on northern grasses.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. It's interesting to see how it's done in other parts of the country. Here, 2" would be a shaggy lawn, 1/2 in. is a scalp.

On a lighter note, whats with the socks and sandals?

Socks.jpg

10. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

LMAO!! you got me Hoskm... I was white trashin' it big time. Finished up with the hard stuff today, I'll try to get some pics posted tonight of the thatching... Filled the truck today with the amount we pulled out. Yards are not very big here, only about 50'x130'