[B]Newbie to installs....[/B]

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WhohasHelios?, Feb 20, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I have been doing residential and light commercial scaping now as well as landscape and garden maintenance for just over three years. Everything is going really well, sales are strong and I am increasing them hugely every year.

Here is the problem though:

I seem to have this hesitation to really push the irrigation installs on my jobs!!

I love them, I understand the installation process, have a decent knowledge of most major manufacturers product lines and even have charge accounts at four local irrigation shops!

But I have never actually done an install.....(hanging my head in shame)

My question is this: What would be a good way to overcome this barrier and really learn my installs through and through in the shortest period of time?

I would love to be able to just go work with some companies in town for a few and learn the ropes but I cannot afford to leave my show for that time...

Thanks for any replies..

2. johndarron

johndarron LawnSite Member

Just get out there and do a few small systems at first. If you understand the basics your irrigation suppliers should also be able to help guide you through your first few installs (they could even draw you up a quick residential irrigation design if you have a rough drawing). I have done it in the past for my customers new in the irrgation game.
  3. WhohasHelios?

Thanks man. I was thinking that same...just need to get over it and do it i guess...=)
  4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just an FYI.... you can only use different fonts and bold print in the main text of your message, not in your thread title.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose, like a lot of people, its easy to feel a bit afraid of jumping into something over your head because as we all know there are little problems that come up, and how you handle these problems makes all the difference in the world. If you have a good knowledge on the subject, thats half the battle right there.

What about installing a system at your own place, or how about giving a friend a good deal on an install where you won't feel so threatened by your lack of a track record?
  6. WhohasHelios?

Yeah, I figured that out about the font tags...=)

I have been thinking about that as well, that is the way I would like to approach it, although I really should have been doing this two and a half years ago..Because now I am getting too busy, the phone is ringing constantly etc etc....But I will just have to lose some money on the other side of things in order to facilitate the learning curve on this one I suppose.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

PS>> I have been doing LIGHT system servicing and troubleshooting for about a year now, here is the on-truck inventory i have:
    Micro supplies( heads, different colors of 1/4 inch, 1/4 inch soaker,) Pressure guage, flags, cements and primers, pipe cutters, different VAN heads...

What other "vital" supplies would you guys suggest never going without in your trucks?