[B]Overall best trimmer string?[/B]

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MeanGreenGuy, Nov 22, 2009.

1. MeanGreenGuy

MeanGreenGuy LawnSite Member

Whats the best overall trimmer string diameter lol
    dumb question hu
    Someone will give me an honest asnwere.
    Found someone selling the 1lb spools for cheap.
    Figured there is a reason for it.
    Thanks in advance

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have always used .095, it works great! I used to buy the Stihl lime green colored X-line, but it was $30. for a 3lb spool! I saw a orange colored star shaped line at home depot in 3lb. spool for $10. and went with that, and it works just as good or better than the Stihl line! Basically I think trimmer line is trimmer line no matter what brand it is. Its all plastic or nylon. Plus Ive tried many different types over the years and Ive noticed they are all pretty much the same, they all last about the same amount of time too. Ive never come across a brand or type that is any better than any other? But I will never use round line, it just doesnt cut worth a damn, and gets tangled up too easily.

3. gunsworth

gunsworth LawnSite Member

.095 oregon braided with the aramid core, period. I have tried everything and this stuff blows it all away. pricey but worth it. lasts longer, doesnt split, cuts clean and requires less throttle.... was around $55 or so for a 5lb spool.

I highly disagree with most lines being the same.

Next to this I prefered crossfire, bit it split and didnt last long enough.

round is worthless, doesnt cut and binds up

square doesnt last, splits and grabs to much, which in turn throws more at you and leaves an uneven cut

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

try the red max twizzler looking stuff. Lasts twice as long as the regular stuff.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

It really depends on what you use it for.
    I use .095 Because I need it to be tough enough for wood fences but also be able to flex to get between the pic-its.

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

.095 Oregon Gator line. Best stuff I have tried.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it is pickets, not pic-its. ahha sorry, had to no offense!

we are using ultra twist and jsut went to 105 and 130 size as we had no other choice. we got it discounted and it might even be discontinued which would suck!

we purchased a huge stock of like 15 5 lb spools and i think we are gong to stock up on more.

it cuts like no ones business and less drag for more power to the head, but it is not very tough.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use .105 string for my trimmer. i dont think the brand really matters but i have stihl

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use 2 different kinds. I use my Shindaiwa for everyday lawns that have a normal weeks growth on them or tender grass. I use .080 round on that trimmer because it will do the job and isn't too hard on a tree trunk if I should accidentially hit it. I use my Stihl FS80 when the trimming gets tough or I'm cutting a Bahia lawn. The Stihl gets an aggressive .095 line whether it's Echo CrossFire or what I'm currently using, Gatorline SuperTwist Magnum.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well it's this plastic string of sorts that they sell on spools or rolls,
    it comes in all the various different sizes and shapes and colors, supposedly
    this all makes a difference so you buy whichever looks good or the one that
    you think will work best or maybe price is a matter, some folks prefer to combine
    the specifications to reach some kind of a decision even if the entire affair leaves
    them feeling a bit perplexed or utterly confused.

Anyhow, so after you pay for it and take it home then you wind it on the spool of the trimmer, works great, good stuff, this.

Honestly?
    The only thing to remember is that trimmer string is sold by WEIGHT.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009