b&S 16 hp vanguard fuel issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scotty3, Mar 21, 2006.

1. scotty3

scotty3 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and would appreciate any advice you may have. I purchased a Giant vac Leaf sucker with the Briggs 16 hp vanguard engine in 2003. The first problem that I had was fuel must have leaked past the needle valve or the float was stuck. Unknowingly the cylinders filled with fuel and when I started it I blew a head gasket. Yipee. I changed the head gasket and cleaned the carb. I turn the fuel valve off when I am done using it just so that wont happen again. The problem that I have now is after running it for a while (when the engine is hot) it starts to shut down but if I choke the engine it smooths out. I have cleaned the carb a few times but nothing has changed. Sometimes I have to have one of my guys to stand by the unit to fiddle with the choke so it will stay running while I suck up leaves. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First of all applying the choke to keep it running is a sign of leaning out or running out of fuel. Easy things first; Have you replaced the fuel filter ? Could be the gas cap vent not working, Could be water in the system, We will need the model and type numbers off the engine to take a look at exactly what you have there.