B/S 16hp starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oceanpotion, Jun 2, 2008.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

I got this POS craftsman tractor with a B/S I/C Platinum 16HP OHV engine. Someone gave it to me because they were tired of it. I took the deck off and basically use it for dragging stuff around the yard and letting the kids ride around with. My friend says he sprays bug fogger in his muffler and drives around his yard when the skeeters get bad but Im not that crazy... yet.

So, last fall I got bored and decided I was gonna do a light refurbish, well you know how that goes. Anyways, I took the wiring harness off and ever since then it wouldnt start. I was jumping it from my truck directly to the starter. So tonight after a while of letting it sit around I decided to mess with it. I hooked the wiring harness back up to everything I could find. There are four wires from the engine one male and one female both with two wires to each (does that make sense [2 sets of 2]). One set lead to the bowl on the carb and the other goes up and under. I dont know if there is some kind of safety shut off circuit or a grounding thing that is preventing this from starting? When I put the cable to the starter tonight it was really sparking hard, almost like a pop.. it would hit 2-3 strokes then nothing. A little bit of white smoke came from the bottom of the starter.

help me help me

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

The wires go to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb. one will be the kill wire. one will be the wire from the alternator. On most of them the red wire will be the charge wire. the white wire is the kill wire. The grey and black pair are the power and ground for the fuel shutoff device.

3. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Hey redneckn, you really know your stuff.

Is there anyway to bypass/deactivate the fuel shutoff device?

4. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard rumors that you can take the fuel shutoff device off the machine completely and put a "plug" in it and it will just fine. But I've not ever tinkered with anything like that myself. I'm a little bit OCD about things being exactly as they came. If the device works you can just wire it directly in to the ignition switch at a point where it's "hot" only when the key is on/start position. If you give me your tractor model number I can tell you which terminal on your switch is the magic one..

The white smoke you mentioned from the starter concerns me though. When you were jumping it from your truck was the truck running? if so, that's bad. You may have messed the starter up. Also, knowing the single Briggs like I do, the cam and/or valves may be giving compression release issues and that's wearing your starter out. A lot of variables I guess.